Maestronet Forums

What would you buy with Lottery Winnings: Instruments Version

violinnewb

So...I had a wonderful dream about winning the lottery last night.  Got me thinking all morning about whether I would buy a violin and bow, and whether I would go all out.

This thread is not meant for any intellectual debate on taxes, investments, etc.  Just having fun.

Now...I thought, would I just buy a Strad just for the sake of owning a Strad?  Would I keep my sensibilities and buy a very nice violin and bow according to may current parameters of sound, playability, etc. even if it means that I like a Guadagnini or Vuillaume over a Strad or Guarneri?  

Just having a bit of non-sense Friday fun.

I have daydreamed about the subject too...especially on long car rides. :P

I would not want a Strad (or similar). I have no inherent desire to play an antique as my main instrument...although I would "test drive" one at the drop of a hat :wub:. I love that (albeit brief) historical connection.

I also would not want to be responsible for maintaining a decaying instrument...or paying insurance on it...or fretting about using it and inadvertently adding to the "patina" ^_^.

So what would I get? Hmm...can I channel Roger? :D

I would go shopping for a Stainer.  I knew a guy who had money and sort-of lived this dream.  He bought a late Strad (I think 1734 or thereabouts), and kept it in a vault at a violin shop, where I played on it once.  It was an interesting sound and had higher arching than I expected. I would still go for the Stainer.  I got to play one of those once in a different violin shop. The luthier knew me, and had just tuned it up, and said--have you ever played a Stainer?  You will love this violin!  He was right--it was bliss.   

So far, I like the responses!  I too, think that I would want something that I could play on, not worry about future costs, etc...but I also know that money makes people do funny things.

Part of my dream was that I walked into a violin shop and asked to play on a strad.  They laughed at me. So, in the dream, I bought the shop out of spite. 

I am very happy with my current instruments and bows. However, if I had to buy something, I'd go after the very finest examples of bows from great makers that I could find. They are easier to store than violins, and they have the beauty of fine works of art to me.

Then again, I'd probably also buy the "Soil" Stradivarius if it ever came up for sale. 

3 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

I am very happy with my current instruments and bows. However, if I had to buy something, I'd go after the very finest examples of bows from great makers that I could find. They are easier to store than violins, and they have the beauty of fine works of art to me.

Then again, I'd probably also buy the "Soil" Stradivarius if it ever came up for sale. 

If you bought the "Soil" Strad....would you feel guilty that you could be depriving an upcoming, or well-established, violinist from being able to play on it?

This is a question that I have pondered this morning.  How could I do justice buying and owning a Strad with my current playing level?  Does a Strad make Twinkle Twinkle Little Star sound any better than on my current violin? :P

14 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

If you bought the "Soil" Strad....would you feel guilty that you could be depriving an upcoming, or well-established, violinist from being able to play on it?

This is a question that I have pondered this morning.  How could I do justice buying and owning a Strad with my current playing level?  Does a Strad make Twinkle Twinkle Little Star sound any better than on my current violin? :P

Absolutely not.

I don't see how my owning a Big Name violin deprives anyone else of having a career.

And, if the Big Name violin provides me with added pleasure as I screetch out Twinkle Twinkle...more power to me.

I'm hedonistic enough to not forgo a known pleasure of mine in order to further an "unknown someone else's" potential pleasure or marketability. That's just crazy talk!

If I did buy a Strad or GdG I wouldn't boast about it.  I heard recently that people are reluctant to wear a Rolex watch on the street in London out of concern for being mugged, apparently street thieves know about Rolexes.  We hear a lot about Strads and the like being stolen.  I think I'd buy a good Vuillaume del Gesu model.  High enough quality, young and healthy enough not to need a restorer on a retainer.

Meh...just pad a viola case and put the violin in it...easier to carry and just as secure.

...add an "I luv Viola" sticker to the case for added security/clarity (er...if such a sticker exists). :lol:

p.s. jk. I luv the viola and happily have two...

I keep my viola in a viola case - built in security! <wink>

I'd probably want to fly around the world and try "the best violins" and the "best violas" that all the top shops might have to offer, and buy whatever played & sounded best, regardless of name. Maybe they would be a GDG/Strad/Whatever and maybe not. The money would be spent to enjoy the process - most of us never get to do something like that. Along the way, eat in all the best places, attend concerts of amazing groups and artists, buy some bespoke clothes, etc. 

I’m not nearly good enough to justify an amazing instrument, my current violin is sufficiently awesome for my abilities.

I would, however, commission a new violin from my luthier using the very best wood he has or can get.  He’s a local guy with a good local reputation and I’d love to toss him that piece of business.

There are a number of young violinists who are very, very good playing on less than ideal instruments.  Perhaps I would buy a couple of lower end Strads and Guarneri's (lower end just so I can have the funds to insure them in perpetuity lol) and loan them out for recitals and solo performances with orchestras?  That would be a hoot! Those kids would get the opportunity of their lifetime to solo with an amazing instrument!  All of this would be done anonymously of course (no need to paint a target on my back). 

Probably an odd choice, as they are not the most expensive violins. However,  I played a beautiful August Germunder New York "Art" violin from 1915 some time back. I would purchase that instrument. It has been on my mind ever since I played it. It had a beautiful tone. Unfortunately, I did not have the funds to purchase it then and I do not now either. If I won the lottery I would be at their door the next morning! Along with the Vorin bow they had available.....just for fun. 

On 1/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, violinnewb said:

Part of my dream was that I walked into a violin shop and asked to play on a strad.  They laughed at me. So, in the dream, I bought the shop out of spite. 

Nah.  Terribly petty small potatoes.  I'd buy myself violins and bows from several of the makers who hang out here, top and otherwise, because I really, really like the community.  Then I'd buy out a certain Canadian-based dot-com, and the network services corporation that hosts them........  Probably invest in a snack-food manufacturer, too.  The minor policy changes (like a return to custom Enthusiast titles) would increase popcorn consumption.  popcorn.gif.b47f7dbee46c1d9d3d40e5ce1860ceb8.gif  :ph34r:  :D  ^_^  :lol:

22 hours ago, Rue said:

Sounds like a very reasonable purchase!

Lottery winnings aside...would they allow you to buy it on installments?

Rue, I have asked in the past and they didn't seem willing. If it's still there it may be worth asking again. 

Well...it doesn't hurt to ask again, especially if it's been sitting there. They may be more motivated to move it now. Maybe go in with a viable payment game plan. Worst they can say is "no"...and you still won't be any worse off.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained." ^_^