Maestronet Forums

STRADIVARIUS IN THE BASEMENT ....WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Schwartzinc

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Nobody has suggested it is German, for instance............

Go back to my posts, see the flute delta in the photo, and read between the lines.  :lol:

IMHO, one problem is that none of us can tell (for sure) how composite it might be.  :)

A movie! That's impossible, Charlton Heston and Jack Benny are long gone. No one to portray my business associate and Myself. The new breed of actors just haven't got what it takes.

It would make a quite fascinating book, that's not going to happen much is better left unsaid.

Project veritas Hegelian or Socratic dialectic.

Today with the internet comparisons and research have taken leaps and bounds from just twenty years ago. 

Off to moderator approval here we go! 

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

You can post a fourth and fifth request to speculate as often as you like, if the proprietor of the fiddle doesn’t provide usable pictures

Can you direct me to instructions for posting pics?

9 minutes ago, TK1 said:

Can you direct me to instructions for posting pics?

After one more approved post (software requires 10, you have nine) you should be able to upload them directly to the forum.  You will see a "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." text in the lower part of the text box. Post approval requirement disappears at that time as well.

5 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Book actually sounds like a good idea!

Still would prefer a movie!

BTW...currently have "Beyond Oak Island" on the TV...

Could make a "Beyond Strad" movie instead! ^_^

23 minutes ago, Rue said:

Don't think so, but they keep finding bits of wood with a hole through the wood...

Wait!!! *gasp* violin tops??? :o

Maybe they've been drilling through the Lost Vault of Strad's Secrets.  But violin dealers in cahoots with pirates? :huh:  Nah, couldn't happen.........   :lol:   pirateship.gif.62183028d975f3c895e7ee8c4506c1c8.gif

Was there some mention of cochineal?  Hasn't that been used by violin makers other than Strad?  I did a quick google search but google is nothing but commercial websites and advertisements now, not like the good old days of web 1.0

I have a jar of cochineal lake but when I tried using it in some varnish it had a sort of tomato red that I didn't like.  

On 1/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Wood Butcher said:

One thing I have noticed on the Cremonese violins I've seen personally, those with the hazel figure (bearclaw) in the spruce, were of a much finer grain, the hazel flecks were quite small, and often ran at an angle of below 30, up to 45 degrees.
The type of spruce in the instrument above is very different, wide, and with large flecks running right across the top, at almost 90 degrees to the grain. Does anyone know of Cremonese makers from the period in question, who used spruce like this?

Hello Mr Butcher,

I ran across these pics while studying Amati's

I have no way of knowing whether they are really amati, just thought I'd share with you.

Evan willing to help

20080824_78af4a687927d2bf6010moUFEV7mklz21.jpg

20080824_80ed1dc653bf1f42360aLzBxhooBZpSZ.jpg

20080824_c63287fb7f0c066141a5llWaWK85hg7a.jpg

• 1 month later...

What a coincidence! Some similarities to the 'da Vinci, ex-Seidel' Tarisio is featuring of the "golden era backs". wear patterns like the extensively played 1714 Lang Strad. I think some of these old-time experts seem to forget we can look at hundreds of full size Strads via the internet.  

Tuesday an associate and I spent the day at Philip Injeians office. My associate Mr. Lee is from Taiwan and a fine violinist. Mr. Lee asked about my Strads authenticity. One of the many points Philip brought up was dealing with the one piece back. Superb wood used by Strad in the "golden era". The pin on the back is handmade unlike the era of Vuillaume and the other French great makers. The French pins are round and don't show like the hand hewn. A major point is the varnish, the polychromatic cochineal is beautiful, nothing like it in any violin maker. in fact, XRF spectrometry shows up with iron, potassium and calcium. Simply put squished cochineal bug remnants you won't find in alcohol-based varnish. So, to my shock and surprise the next day Tarisio shows the da Vinci Strad and talks about the same thing. Injeian theorized the parts Strad made may have sat in the shop and was put together at the end of his life/career.  We have a great provenace as well.

One can theorize, speculate and turn all forwards and backwards again  several times and it all won‘t change anything as long as it isn’t confirmed in writing by one of the respected experts.

You were offered help, for example by our moderator. Just why you didn’t take it?

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

One can theorize, speculate and turn all forwards and backwards again  several times and it all won‘t change anything as long as it isn’t confirmed in writing by one of the respected experts.

You were offered help, for example by our moderator. Just why you didn’t take it?

The moderator you were referring to?

4 hours ago, TK1 said:

1ABC4449-8B32-4990-AAE2-D6CA9667F900.jpeg

I wonder what “fair unsurance value” means in America?

Francais seems careful not to say that it is a Strad, rather just that it had such a label, and has a (not present) certificate from somebody else. I realise that 1951 was a while ago, but was an “unsurance” value of a Strad really at thirty thousand $ back then?

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

I did speak with Jeff about three or four weeks ago. I mentioned when the weather conditions improve I will stop by with my fiddle. Quite soon I will inquire about a convenient time to meet. The violin is going to be played in concert for the first time since the 1950's when Gerardi was the owner very soon here in Cleveland.