• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/28/2023 at 10:02 PM, Dean Markel said:

Hi Davide, 

Do you use your refractive ground in conjunction with the casein sealer or instead of? I assume it comes after as a pore filler and way to enhance the look of the wood. Thanks for sharing!

I put the casein first and then this refractive/mineral ground.
But I've also used it without casein, especially for maple. When I didn't use casein I used the 1:2 dilution ratio instead of 1:3 to limit deep penetration. I usually only do this when the density of the maple is medium/high and the wood is quite compact and with small pores, sometimes I also use it without the pumice, it's a very versatile thing.

When the dimensions allow it, I always get two scrolls instead of just one from the same block. You just need that the maximum width extends to include the eye of the second scroll, and that on the neck side (of the second scroll) there is at least 34mm of width centered on the center line, a couple of spruce wings will restore the necessary squareness of the block if needed.

Wasting good seasoned wood would be a real crime.:)

Sprucewing.thumb.jpg.2e79e5c82d1572b6451fe337511e356e.jpgSprucewingflushwiththeeye.thumb.jpg.9ac1a20e3f5e48103508446e628b9d76.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 4:03 PM, MikeC said:

Hi Davide.   Who makes those rasps?  They look much better than the ones that I have.  

My rasps are handmade in Hungary, I purchased them many years ago here in Cremona at LAC (Liuteria Artistica Cremonese), today I believe they are the ones that LiuteriaShop sells: https://www.liuteriashop.com/it/attrezzatura/raspe But mine are 25mm wide and the ones I see in the catalog seem narrower to me, unfortunately they don't indicate the precise measurements. Being handmade rasps, it would always be essential to see them in person before purchasing them, because there are always slight differences in the teeth and flatness of the faces. A maker of quality handmade rasps that I would like to recommend is Pechar: http://pechar-rasps.com/en/ I don't even have one of their rasps, but I had the opportunity to try them at Mondomusica fair a few years ago and they seemed to me excellent.

On 12/2/2023 at 2:34 AM, MikeC said:

Thanks Davide,  but there is something wrong with those links.  They take me to youtube.  

I found some other handmade rasps online,  the brand is Auriou but I don't know if they make the size needed for violin making.  

Thanks for the report, I replaced the links in my previous post and they should work now.

I'm not familiar with Auriou rasps, but they don't look bad. The problem with rasps is that until you've tried them you can't understand how they work, especially regarding the smoothness of the cutting action and how clean a surface they create.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 7:34 PM, MikeC said:

Thanks Davide,  but there is something wrong with those links.  They take me to youtube.  

I found some other handmade rasps online,  the brand is Auriou but I don't know if they make the size needed for violin making.  

Mike,

Not sure where you are located, but I also searched for a while to find rasps like I see many of the European luthiers using.  I finally found some distributed by Gramercy Tools in the US and bought three.  They have been excellent and significantly better than any others I have been able to buy in the US so far.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-CMRASP.XX

8 hours ago, Matthew_Graesch said:

Mike,

Not sure where you are located, but I also searched for a while to find rasps like I see many of the European luthiers using.  I finally found some distributed by Gramercy Tools in the US and bought three.  They have been excellent and significantly better than any others I have been able to buy in the US so far.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-CMRASP.XX

Thanks for the link, I didn't think of that.  I got their bowsaw plans and made one with slight modifications.  Wow those are expensive though.   I've been thinking about making my own hand made rasps.  

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Thanks for the link, I didn't think of that.  I got their bowsaw plans and made one with slight modifications.  Wow those are expensive though.   I've been thinking about making my own hand made rasps.  

They are indeed a little pricey, though very much in line with similar options I found in Japan and Europe and would have had to pay for international shipping.  I have used them on two new fiddles so far and I would definitely buy them again, they have proven to be real time savers and much better than any other cheaper rasp I have had.

18 hours ago, Matthew_Graesch said:

They are indeed a little pricey, though very much in line with similar options I found in Japan and Europe and would have had to pay for international shipping.  I have used them on two new fiddles so far and I would definitely buy them again, they have proven to be real time savers and much better than any other cheaper rasp I have had.

They look good.
The main problem with good quality rasps is the price, not cheap, but if they work well I'm convinced they are worth the price.