• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone was curious to see how I cut the bridge, I finally managed to make a video:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwWvDbc2Og&t=7s

This is just the very condensed version (alas it takes me well over 18 minutes to cut a bridge...). For those who are "morbidly" curious about every detail, they will find them all in this series of twelve step by step videos (the twelfth is still missing, coming soon):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6GV3b6KZk&list=PLaxadm6POX7EjpjW2BpAr1d_U8ITO5GFP

There is also a video marked as "Appendice" (appendix) where I deal with the measures, weight and frequency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8n46DOaDg&t=6s

Thanks for watching!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, Davide Sora said:

I made this video with two of my violins to fuel the eternal Stradivari vs Guarneri dispute. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3q_VsTfHE4

Don't take it seriously, the title is obviously ironic. These are the two violins "starring" in the video.:)

Clever! I actually saw it pushed on Youtube or Facebook - no matter which violin people like better, they end up liking your violin!

The real question is - which one do you like better Davide?

1 hour ago, Derek Law said:

Clever! I actually saw it pushed on Youtube or Facebook - no matter which violin people like better, they end up liking your violin!

The real question is - which one do you like better Davide?

Asking me which one I prefer would be like asking a parent which is their favorite child:lol:

Honestly I couldn't choose, I like them both, each has both physical and acoustical features which makes them very interesting to my eyes and ears.

Then, after all, what matters is the judgment of who will have to make music with them, not my personal preference:)

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Beautiful, and beautifully played. That's the first time I've noticed a c-bout protector. I must not be very observant because a quick search shows them readily available and cheap. Great insurance for instruments on trial.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks!

It's the first time I've used that black plastic protection, I was afraid it could dampen the sound but the plastic is not too rubbery (flexible but quite hard) and does not have a muting effect, it is definitely irrelevant to the sound. Sokhema (the player) asked to use it, I would have let her play even without the protection, but I was so struck by her very respectful attitude towards my violin that I did not object.:)

9 hours ago, charliemaine said:

Beautiful Davide. 

A question on your varnish,...do you expect it to wear like the old Italian varnish? Or is it more durable?

I would hope it will be more durable, but I'm afraid it's not. :rolleyes:

it's a fairly delicate and chippy varnish, but I believe these characteristics are relevant to the sound. It is probably more resistant to sweat and humidity due to the presence of seedlac, but from a mechanical point of view I think it is quite similar to the ancient ones.

Then I believe that getting the same wear is not possible in any case: the life of the violins, the environment in which they are, and the way they are treated and played is different nowadays than it was in the centuries around 1700.

Sounds beautiful! The G string is very stable and the D string is nice and warm. I thought the A string was a bit nasal. If you think that too, do you expect that to change on its own or make some kind of adjustment?

Regarding varnish, I think newer instruments are going to have a better life than old Italians, since we players tend to take better care of instruments than 300 years ago!

On 7/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, Arbos said:

Sounds beautiful! The G string is very stable and the D string is nice and warm. I thought the A string was a bit nasal. If you think that too, do you expect that to change on its own or make some kind of adjustment?

Regarding varnish, I think newer instruments are going to have a better life than old Italians, since we players tend to take better care of instruments than 300 years ago!

Thanks!

More or less my impression, but I think it depends on the strings used, with which I don't have much experience (Thomastik Rondò, first time I try them). I normally use the Vision Solo, and in fact the A string is less nasal and more beautiful, my favorite A string at least on my violins. But overall I would say that these Rondos are remarkable, the only thing I didn't like at the beginning was their excessive resonance when plucked, an almost guitar-like effect, but it goes away after a few days.

However, I must say that the nasality of the A string was much less perceptible in live listening, not that much as to justify a sound adjustment intervention, considering that overall the violin seemed well balanced and responsive to me anyway

2 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Love this back picture. The wood grain gives the effect of shining a laser to see the arching. Awesome!

Not exactly a laser:), but the intent is precisely to create a diffuse surface reflection that shows curves without totally covering the wood grain. The lighting is two spotlights with reflected light from white umbrellas, you can spot them reflected on the heel.

I have always found particularly useful to observe the lines created by the flames to interpret the cross sections of the archings, an old trick that comes from when you can't have violins in your hands but have to observe them closed inside a showcase.