Maestronet Forums

PVA Glue has a place in violin making/restoration. Any thoughts?

Nikos Matsablokos

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Clear because it doesn't expand. The tan stuff works too but it foams when it sets which makes a little mess.

I use two flat thin plates and glue their center joint with the Gorilla glue.  I throughly wet the glued top plate and heat it with a heat lamp and then bend it to have a shallow arch.  The Gorilla glue joint withstands this stress, moisture and heat so I doubt anything can happen to it afterward.

Thank you ! I'll give it a try.

From some quick internet searching I see that PVA is available in conservation grade PH neutral formulations (I gather primarily for book binders and such). I have no desire to ditch my hide glue—it's just not something that gives me trouble—, but it does make me curious about hide glue (which I believe is slightly acidic?) and whether that has any long term effect on the wood (how different is wood from paper in this regard?) and whether that's something we should care about? Or is this all a solution in search of a problem?

4 hours ago, Jedidjah de Vries said:

From some quick internet searching I see that PVA is available in conservation grade PH neutral formulations (I gather primarily for book binders and such). I have no desire to ditch my hide glue—it's just not something that gives me trouble—, but it does make me curious about hide glue (which I believe is slightly acidic?) and whether that has any long term effect on the wood (how different is wood from paper in this regard?) and whether that's something we should care about? Or is this all a solution in search of a problem?

I wouldn't expect the acidity in glue to be a concern as most wood species are more acidic (~4-5 pH) than the glue.