Maestronet Forums

unregraduating?

keyboardclass

20 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

Anybody tried it?  I thought of maybe painting glue on the inside of a bout?  Perhaps with some sawdust mixed in?  

What Don said.  Rumor has it that some rather expensive violins have been repaired with internal full-plate veneer patches, but also that it never completely restores things acoustically.  :)

2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Anybody tried it?  I thought of maybe painting glue on the inside of a bout?  Perhaps with some sawdust mixed in?  

Don’t even think about that! You might as well smear dung on the inside. Large fitted patches have been used, but it takes a very skilled luthier to do it properly.

Such a restoration, would undoubtedly require someone both highly skilled, and experienced. I expect it would be one of the more expensive restoration procedures too.

Adding wood in some half arsed fashion, could easily lead to stresses building up within the top, and lead to serious issues at a later date.

What sort of instrument is it?

You can certainly size plates to stiffen them incrementally but as with any restoration it is best done by a trained and experienced person. Trying to apply some sort of stucco or putty to build thickness sounds like one of the worst ideas I have heard tendered here. If it is a good instrument and there is reason to think that it has been damaged by injudicious thinning there are various procedures which might improve the instrument's function but they are all quite technically challenging.