Maestronet Forums

Probable Schönbach Dutzendarbeit

LorenArthur

I am in the process of buying a new violin. The one I am looking at has a lions head scroll so I decided to do a little bit of research on such violins. The luthier I am purchasing from estimated that the violin is German and from the late 1800’s. 
After reading around these forums and looking at similar instruments I think it is a, Schönbach Dutzendarbeit, although it is beautifully restored and has a great sound it may not be worth near the asking price on it.

I am basing my guess on the following attributes.

* Roughly carved lions head with red tongue.  

* Two piece bottom rib.

* Delta at base of scroll fluting. 

I am hoping someone on these forums can confirm my identification and let me know if $4.5k is a fair price or not.

Images attached.

868C50F9-F35A-4C5C-BA9F-B1C4AEF89E42.jpeg

D95FCFD9-287D-4A16-A58B-116857210528.jpeg

CBFA6F57-3FB9-41E0-B4A0-02A1350CBFD7.jpeg

F1FCC402-1301-4359-BEB0-63F5264044C7.jpeg

26BFD846-BAE5-4EE7-8661-B754F9EFE1B8.jpeg

E11037DC-DC19-47B0-9120-140BB31C4289.jpeg

Price is a difficult topic.

Of course you can buy a similar violin in a state of disrepair on eBay for a fraction of the price without knowing how it will sound once playable. And to get to this point will more often than not be a false economy.

There is value in buying from a luthier.

There is also a regional question. The same violin will be more expensive in London or New York compared to, say, Berlin. And don’t even ask about Tokyo.

I would, however, still say the price seems high. But it may well be acceptable wherever you are and if the sound is really convincing across a wider selection of violins.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313765306550?hash=item490ddea0b6%3Ag%3A36wAAOSwLzFfR9QK&LH_ItemCondition=1500|2500|3000|7000|10

here is a one piece maple back , inlaid with purfling rope + Video file 

you can make your "Best Offer" too :)

the lion headed violin you can get it form eBay around $200 (+/-) as a poor condition 

but with a professional SetUp you can buy it from ($750 to $900)

enjoy what you like, but to me it is worthless.

Does seem a lot to me too (even from overpriced Canada), but like the others have mentioned, price is subjective, depending on where you live.

However, if you love it and it's set up really well (the benefit of buying from a trusted luthier) and it plays really well in all positions - and the price is relative to similar violins where you live - there's no inherent reason not to buy it.

Comparing it to unrepaired eBay violins is not a fair comparison.

30 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Why would you trust a luthier that's charging $4500 for a $1000 fiddle, that's not a trusted luthier!

What if that's the going rate for such a fiddle...in the OP's neck of the woods?  I specified that.

There's a problem when we assume/advise based only on what's happening in our neighbourhood.  Neighourhoods can be very different.

Take my neighbourhood for example.  It's not an easy thing to get a bow rehaired around here.  I either have the general music store do it (expertise/quality issues) or wait for a pop-up (which may happen 1-2 times a year - and that's if you don't miss them entirely) or go to the trouble to mail it off (rather not, added expense, worry, etc.). 

Now, you might well have 3-4 rehairers on your block.  So if you were to advise me to stop fussing, get on with it and walk down the block and get my bow rehaired...well, wouldn't work for me, would it?

10 hours ago, LorenArthur said:

I am in the process of buying a new violin. ................I think it is a, Schönbach Dutzendarbeit, although it is beautifully restored and has a great sound it may not be worth near the asking price on it.

.............let me know if $4.5k is a fair price or not.

IMHO, yes, it's a Markie, and no, it's not worth anywhere near 4500 USD, CAD, AUD, EUR, or GBP.  If you pay that, you are wasting your money, and encouraging really disgusting greed.

Now, if that is Japanese yen, it's a really low price.  :) :lol:

I can't help but notice that the price was 1,500 and someone changed it to 4,500. I mean, put on a new label so the customers doesn't see the jacking up right before their eyes. Or maybe, as it seems, the seller did try to remove the label and it started stripping off the varnish so they left it on, something to take note of.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 2.14.34 PM.png