Maestronet Forums

Stradivari Violins and Cello at the Met Museum - odd angle photos

BassClef

I unexpectedly found myself at the Met Museum yesterday morning and decided to pop off some odd angle iPhone photos of the strads for your viewing. Nothing professional here but I figured someone might get something out of these so here they are. My apologies to the Amati instruments that got no love this visit, I was in a little bit of a rush to leave by then. I adore the Amatis on display. The large viola is my favorite instrument.

please also point out any noteworthy tool marks that you see.

And here are more from that room before it was remodeled and when it hosted the Sau-Wing Lam violin collection on temporary display.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329111-are-these-violins-as-good-as-claimed-photos/

including my other favorite instrument, the reddish Bergonzi Violin Here:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329111-are-these-violins-as-good-as-claimed-photos/&do=findComment&comment=598334

The  maple on that Gould! Full shot it's like, no hum, another striped violin. The close ups it's a different animal. More like the back that Joe Robson showed the other day on his contemporary makers bench. Flecks and stuff all over. From a distance it looks so plain Jane.

The photos are beautiful, but even the best possible photo cannot truly capture the appearance of some violin's surface. It has to move in the light, like a diamond. A diamond only sparkles if it moves in the light or if the light moves on it (or if you use multiple light sources). I have a Strad copy with a back that looks like it is an inch deep - but it has to move in the light for me to see that effect.

2 hours ago, Andrew Victor said:

The photos are beautiful, but even the best possible photo cannot truly capture the appearance of some violin's surface. It has to move in the light, like a diamond. A diamond only sparkles if it moves in the light or if the light moves on it (or if you use multiple light sources). I have a Strad copy with a back that looks like it is an inch deep - but it has to move in the light for me to see that effect.

Exactly!  The first time I saw that on a very nice violin, I almost fell off the chair.  It looked like there were crushed diamonds in the varnish!  And that depth as you describe, in sunlight it appeared an inch deep.  Absolutely astounding.  Once you see it you never forget.  

8 hours ago, BassClef said:

I unexpectedly found myself at the Met Museum yesterday morning and decided to pop off some odd angle iPhone photos of the strads for your viewing. Nothing professional here but I figured someone might get something out of these so here they are. My apologies to the Amati instruments that got no love this visit, I was in a little bit of a rush to leave by then. I adore the Amatis on display. The large viola is my favorite instrument.

So pretty! Thank you for posting :) 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, BassClef said: