Maestronet Forums

Ian Christian's Bench

Greetings all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just wanted to share with y'all my first instrument now that it's finished. This was a bass for myself to use when I play in the symphony. It's got some neat features like a removable neck, carbon fibre insert, compressed pine fingerboard, edge bumpers etc. I'm largely self taught so this was a long project I've had running in the background for 4 years. It's far from perfect but I'm generally quite happy and I learned a great deal in the process. If people are interested I'll answer questions and post more photos later. 

Front.JPG

Back.JPG

Three Quarter View.JPG

Scroll.jpg

Scroll 3-4.JPG

Under the hood.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqbLsRkHpjQ

Thanks everybody, here's a clip I just uploaded of the bass solo from Verdi's Otello. Apologies for the audio quality, this was done on short notice to submit to the VSA. To @Shelbow, yes this is now my main instrument. Compared to my previous bass, an 1895 prague bass, this is gutsy and very resonant, particularly in the low to mid range. It tapers off a little in thumb position but that may change as the bass opens up more. It's got a wolf on the octave A I need to sort out but first impressions are very positive.

Edited by Ian Christian
YT link was blocked. Apologies if this is against the rules.