Maestronet Forums

Music that makes you cry

PhilipKT

Violin: De Beriot violin concerto 7 and Saint Saens violin concerto 3

Cello: Rachmaninoff Sonata for Cello & Piano in G minor, op. 19: III. Andante and Dvorak Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104

Piano: Rachmaninoff Piano concert 2 and 3

Orchestra Beethoven Symphony No. 3 "Eroica"

We just finished an opera performance featuring women conductors(one from Scotland, as I mentioned in another thread, ha ha.)They were assigned music, including an aria called “what makes a man a man“ from an opera called “Champion” and another, poetically called, “mental health“ from an opera called “breaking the waves“

They are both beautiful arias…no, perhaps “powerful” is a better adjective. Regardless, I found myself tearing up during the second rehearsal of “mental health.”. The lyrics are purely conversational, there’s nothing poetic or artistic about them, And they’re hard to follow anyway, because you know, we’re busy at the time. the music is odd and doesn’t seem to convey any particular emotion, There was no acting at all, it was just a stage performance, but the singing was magnificent.

whenever something like that happens I always wonder what was it that pulled the emotion out of me, which is why I posed the question. 

Also on the program was a duet from Fidelio “Mir Ist Wunderbar,” which is traditionally beautiful, and was gorgeously sung, but although I loved it, it didn’t touch me so deeply.

@violinnewb love Nimrod, But you haven’t lived until you’ve heard this version.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So much music that brings tears. Actually, anything beautiful can bring on tears. Here are three examples:

Elgar's Nimrod from Enigma Variations

Bach's Chaconne from the Partita for solo violin in D minor. The tears come with the central section in major.

The Finale section of Stravinsky's Firebird, when the Phoenix rises from the ashes.

• 1 month later...

About 58 years ago, the first time I ever heard the great Schubert C major quintet, I was sight reading the 2nd cello part and when we hit "B,"  the passage in the first movement starting at measure 58, I started to tear up so profusely that I had to stop playing and wipe my eyes. (Maybe it was just an excuse to play it again.)

I have played that music a number of times since (eventually all the parts, most recently, viola) and the harmonies of that melody always get to me, although never again that strongly but always recalling that evening so long ago.

1 hour ago, Andrew Victor said:

About 58 years ago, the first time I ever heard the great Schubert C major quintet, I was sight reading the 2nd cello part and when we hit "B,"  the passage in the first movement starting at measure 58, I started to tear up so profusely that I had to stop playing and wipe my eyes. (Maybe it was just an excuse to play it again.)

I have played that music a number of times since (eventually all the parts, most recently, viola) and the harmonies of that melody always get to me, although never again that strongly but always recalling that evening so long ago.

Yup... that's another spot that can make me well up.  Is it the most beautiful moment in chamber music?  Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to the Bach Chaconne (favorite version is Hilary) for decades and never shed a tear. I was going through a divorce at 40 and was no longer repressing my emotions. One day as I was driving and blasting it, I just started sobbing. Like ugly crying.