• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

I don't like Fender Telecasters or electric guitars in general

Sometimes there's some charm.  Last night on Youtube I clicked on a thumbnail of a little kid helping another little kid get on a donkey, and all of a sudden the algorithm filled my suggestions with music from the third world that I didn't even know existed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWphFpwkaI

56 minutes ago, Three13 said:

As someone who collects both guitars and violins, that thing is an abomination. I hate to be a stodgy traditionalist, but Telecasters look best to me when they’re in their original format:

A558C461-B19D-4F75-AA5A-415FB35A9D24.jpeg

Yes! This is a good looking Telecaster IMO

1 hour ago, Three13 said:

As someone who collects both guitars and violins, that thing is an abomination. I hate to be a stodgy traditionalist, but Telecasters look best to me when they’re in their original format:

A558C461-B19D-4F75-AA5A-415FB35A9D24.jpeg

Then I suppose Strad should never have changed the model from the Amatis?

Mine lacks a lot in the way of finesse. A bound fretboard and inlays would help. The head is horrible; someone should have stopped me. Roller tuners, at least, and maybe a scroll for fun?  But it plays really nice! I just changed the bridge, tailpiece, and switched to steel strings. It is hard to play now!  My fingers liked the 100 pound strings. But it sounds more like an arch top than a classical now.

The "Stradicaster" is like a hybrid. Like an opened up hollow body/archtop/electric. I think they did a good job mixing that with the violin theme. 

IMG_0620.thumb.jpg.cadfdcab239f9f20461e33267b7308d5.jpg

I actually really enjoy the look of this guitar. The one thing that irks me is...

Why make the thing out of oh-so-rare instrument spruce when you're gonna drill big ol' holes in it for the pickups and pots :angry:

The pickups are magnetic anyway, so all that tonewood and hand carved arching does it no good whatsoever.

Also, $30'000? Yeah, no. Add it to the pile of grandpa's-attic Strads.

1 hour ago, Deo Lawson said:

Why make the thing out of oh-so-rare instrument spruce when you're gonna drill big ol' holes in it for the pickups and pots :angry:

The pickups are magnetic anyway, so all that tonewood and hand carved arching does it no good whatsoever.

I don't believe this is true,,,

I know there has always been a divide over this issue, but it it easily verifiable,,,

there are often too many thought experiments, and reasoning things through,, without any type of method or real proof.

it's actually more in the realm of urban legend.

1 hour ago, Deo Lawson said:

Ummmm..............the linked article says, "The guitar is home to three piezo pickups [my emphasis] and two TV Jones ThunderBlade pickups, making for a good variety of tone options on tap. ".

I don't like the silly, IMHO overpriced, thing, but lets not libel it.  :)

Material choice definitely makes a difference on electric guitars, perhaps not as much as acoustic instruments but it does make a difference. I am the owner of several standard wooden electric guitars, one of carbon fibre, one half wood and half aluminium and the other completely of aluminium. The all aluminium guitar is insanely bright.

9 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Then I suppose Strad should never have changed the model from the Amatis?

The Amati designed the Telecaster? I guess they were ahead of their time...

In all seriousness, I do prefer the Amati form, but run through the Strad-addled brain of the youngest Guarnerius - particularly the ones when he was in a funky mood, like the de Beriot.

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Ummmm..............the linked article says, "The guitar is home to three piezo pickups [my emphasis] and two TV Jones ThunderBlade pickups, making for a good variety of tone options on tap. ".

I don't like the silly, IMHO overpriced, thing, but lets not libel it.  :)

Ok, haha, my bad for not reading carefully. But then who the heck buys a tele for piezo tone??? And on such a small, acoustically compromised body?