Fender Stradicaster

Bill Yacey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to agree with Nick. It is a guitar. It isn't a violin. Guitars are short and fat. Some of the elements look like they were done quite well. I made my arch top with much higher arching, and scaled down Guadagnini F holes. It still doesn't look anything like a Guadagnini cello. It's a guitar. 

Would I pay $30,000 for one? No, but I'm not their market. Their market is 6 guys who HAVE TO have it. I've never spent $30,000 for a car!

Why hate?

I personally hate (more indifference) it because I don't think it looks very nice, this is regardless of if it's trying to look like a violin or not :lol:

I trained as a guitar maker and spent at least a good 15 years obsessed with guitars so this has nothing to do with my feeling in regards to violins.

I don't like Fender Telecasters or electric guitars in general, but hate this one less.  The antiquing looks fairly well done, and is visually interesting for me.  But I can understand the dislike for the dischord of trying to look like an old violin but being an electric guitar.

strat.thumb.jpg.4fb96cb9da81a0df9db405969b750c8f.jpg

I think that Robert Benedetto does a much nicer job of giving a nod to violins. Considerably more expensive than a telecaster though. I've actually begun and never finished a Benedetto arch top project, I broke so many ribs that I gave up. For certain things the sound of a telecaster is right and the design is one of the most stable, they never go out of tune.

https://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/flagship-series/cremona™/

https://benedettoguitars.com/boutique/violinburst-bravo-elite-3/

If you want to incorporate violin and guitar, Alex Svistunov makes cellos all day long, and on the side makes perhaps the best archtop guitars I have ever played, according to players reactions. Clapton bought one, as did Zack Brown, and George Gruhn would love to get more. I can't say why Alex doesn't make more. Cobbler's kids, maybe.

Arching and wood are important on an archtop, but Alex has done some interesting things with the bracing, too, and this guitar works in a large group (jazz orchestra) like no other.

EX%2BAL.jpg

If I had $30k to spend on a guitar, the Fender would be near the bottom of the list.  If it had to be electric, Fender would still be near the bottom of the list.  If it had to be a Fender, the Stradicaster would finally make it to the top of the list.  As a general aesthetic, I think a guitar should look like a guitar, and not try to be something it isn't.

On a semi-related note, this has been at the top of my list ever since I saw one like it in the Martin museum nearly 50 years ago, and I have commissioned one... using a back/sides set of Brazilian rosewood that I bought about then.  And the guitar will be MUCH less than $30k (not from Martin; they only use their own wood).

000-41.thumb.jpg.0c5594bfc40259a187753d522bc5d198.jpg