Maestronet Forums

New adquisition, please help to ID

LouisXVI

3 hours ago, LouisXVI said:

Guys I have been sharing pictures with you for a long time. Could you please believe more and question less? Do as Lord Sauders does....

Yes, you have, so you should be knowledgable enough by now to understand the importance of posting a complete set of clear pictures in your first post instead of dribbling them in multiple posts.

I understand and respect your excitement at posting a new violin here. I really do. But I hope you understand that it is a waste of people's time to ask them to guess what something is from an incomplete set of pictures, many of which are taken from angles that add no information about the instrument's identification.

I have no idea what "please believe more and question less" means. This is not a religion, and @jacobsaunders is not a "Lord" as far as I know. :)

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

King Louis is just taking the piss

You have no idea lord Sauders...

13 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I would prefer it if the OP would post on the Auction Scroll, and include a link to the violin they are considering buying. 

there is no link, it was an internal negotiation. It was never posted. I do not understand why it is so important to specify how the violin was adquired? I thought it was only important to ask for help for the ID. Actually to me the less I know about this aspects the better when I am giving my opinion on this affairs. I mean, why should I know? 

Although your opinion is very important to me Mister Swan and if you prefer so I will do it in future references.

17 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I would suggest that you buy from people you trust, and then you won't need second opinions from Maestronet.

I dont ask for opinions because I don't trust. I do it so I can show this as a back up for the instrument for future customers, I do it and at the same time I share my instruments with you guys so we can all discuss about them. It is a win/win situation,  lord Sauders would approve it.

2 hours ago, LouisXVI said:

I dont ask for opinions because I don't trust. I do it so I can show this as a back up for the instrument for future customers, I do it and at the same time I share my instruments with you guys so we can all discuss about them. It is a win/win situation,  lord Sauders would approve it.

Thanks for the clarification.

If you want endorsements for your customers, you should pay someone for their opinion in the form of a certificate. I would not like to think you are using casual opinions given here on the basis of poor photos as any kind of security for your clients.

17 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Thanks for the clarification.

If you want endorsements for your customers, you should pay someone for their opinion. I would not like to think you are using casual opinions given here on the basis of poor photos as any kind of security for your clients.

Where I am we don't have access to international houses like Rampal or so. So my customers would be more confident if people who have nothing to do with the instrument gave their opinion. I will post better pictures as I receive the instrument, although I think this post is quite pointless right now, since we are not directing the conversation upon the instrument but other useful things like "¿why do you want to know about the instrument??", or "Jacob is not a lord!" Besides I almost feel like in an interrogation with the police lol.

I am loving you each day more guys, this is just another happy marriage lol

You are asking people here to do for free what they would normally charge for, in order to facilitate your business. Certificate writing is also a business.

I can certainly understand why Martin et al. may not want to be involved in any sales you may try to make by citing their informal opinion on a message board.

If you want a professional opinion upon which to base a profit making transaction, you should pay for it. I am sure that there are ways to work this, no matter your location.

I dont fully understand. I am not looking for an appraisal nor need it. just informal opinions about identifying instruments. Many people who bring their instruments to this section is to both identify  and sell them so what is wrong with what I am doing?? isn't that what this section is for? to show your instruments and get other's members opinions?? I believe we are overthinking it too much guys...

have a good one

It's to do with how you present the facts ...
If you say "I am considering buying this violin on Ebay with a view to selling it again" then people can choose whether or not to give you an opinion, and also whether to share any knowledge they might have about the respective sellers.

If you san "this violin is in my workshop" when it isn't, you are implying that the decision to buy is already taken, or that you are setting up the violin for a customer. Somehow you are obscuring the true nature of your request.

It's a small distinction I know, but to me it's pretty important. 

Others probably feel differently.

I also am very much against the idea of using informal opinions to sell violins, since those opinions carry no legal weight (cf. Jacob's quote "Charles Beare writes, Charles Beare does not say ...")

You may notice how the opinions on your threads conflict - some say yes, some say no, some say maybe. What's to stop you picking the opinion you like?