Maestronet Forums

Id for a great violin, please

Vion

Hi! I have a great sounding violin and i want to tell you it's story. I bought it for not very much. It is my love and passion. When i went to a masterclass with a great master, i  do not know if he is ok with me telling his name, he played my violin and he said it sound much better than a 40000 dollars violin that another pupil had at that masterclass, a violin that had a certificate for that sum. I went to a very good luthier in Brussels and he told me the construction is very good but that he does not recognize where it was made or by who. He than worked on it an it sound much much better than when i had the masterclass. My teacher now, no names given but he plays on a Strad, said it sounds excelent. So with that said, what do you think? Who and where made it?

Thank you very much Maestronet!

Also sorry, english is not my first language, please excuse any mistakes.

IMG-20211016-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20211016-WA0021.jpg

Edited by Vion

11 minutes ago, Aurella said:

Hi Vion :) To me it looks Bohemian late 19th century but I'm sure others may be able to provide a more accurate assessment.

Hi! It might be, but it is clear to me that it is a great maker. You know, you can lie with a varnish, a scroll, but you can never lie with sound. Also sorry for not giving names for my techers or the Strad, i am triyng to be as discrete as possible, so as to not upset my teachers. :)

• Vion changed the title to Id for a great violin, please
1 hour ago, Vion said:

Hi! It might be, but it is clear to me that it is a great maker. You know, you can lie with a varnish, a scroll, but you can never lie with sound. Also sorry for not giving names for my techers or the Strad, i am triyng to be as discrete as possible, so as to not upset my teachers. :)

It looks like a standard trade violin to me. The rib corners are pinched and look a bit crooked. That level of finish is common for mass produced instruments at that time.

However it's certainly the case that some trade violins have an excellent sound.

There appears to be a crack on the back, and I wonder if the varnish has been altered? Nevertheless many of these old trade instruments sound splendid. I look for them for my own students because they never cost as expensive as they sound. You have every reason to be pleased, and your English is excellent also!

the bow looks ordinary but a couple closeups of that would be welcome too.

4 hours ago, Vion said:

went to a very good luthier in Brussels and he told me the construction is very good but that he does not recognize where it was made.

This is quite surprising, as it is the most commonly encountered type of violin, being German and from the very end of the 19th Century. I do like the wide flames on the back.
Perhaps they did recognise it, but did not wish to dampen your enthusiasm.