Maestronet Forums

Help with id please

Vion

Another one from the collection! What can you tell me about this violin? Came in an 19th century wooden violin case. I think the violin is much older, tho. Any idea of the possible maker? Also, i se that the f-hole is changed, why is that?

Thank you, Maestronet!

20211015_000427.jpg

20211012_233322.jpg

20211012_233405.jpg

20211012_233412.jpg

20211012_233331.jpg

20211012_233333.jpg

20211012_233415.jpg

20211012_233340.jpg

20211012_233350.jpg

20211012_233423.jpg

20211012_233428.jpg

20211012_233445.jpg

20211012_233453.jpg

20211012_233459.jpg

20211012_233504.jpg

20211012_233551.jpg

20211012_233620.jpg

19th century seems right to me. It’s a built on the back construction with an unusually deeply fluted scroll (maybe overworked), but nonetheless (West)Bohemian in my eyes. I can see no alterations to the ff, the shape is very common for this origin. What was altered was more probably the varnish.

Unfortunately the long bottom post crack and the revarnishing is reducing the value dramatically.

15 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

It’s just the nicks on the soundholes that have been changed. The soundholes are the original shape otherwise.

I would rather guess that the actual are the original nicks, because they are (roughly) in the mid of the f, while the other, extremely way down, were a kind of failed experiment and therefore filled again later. 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

It looks to me kind of like a piece of wood was added to the bass f to replace the lower wing.

This looks like a correct assessment to me. Possibly the f hole notches were unusually low to begin with so someone crudely filled them in and moved them higher to conform to the “standard” aesthetic. 

Do you think it is worth going to the luthier and repairing it? What do you belive it should cost me and what do you think it is worth repaired? Also i want to tell you it has light construction. Compared to two other bohemian violins i own, it is very light. Do you think it will have good sound?

Edited by Vion

39 minutes ago, Vion said:

Do you think it is worth going to the luthier and repairing it?

Personally, I don't. The sound post crack in the back by itself makes it essentially worthless. It is impossible to predict if "it will have good sound," but you would be better off spending your money on a violin in good repair that you can play. 

2 hours ago, Vion said:

Do you think it is worth going to the luthier and repairing it? What do you belive it should cost me and what do you think it is worth repaired? Also i want to tell you it has light construction. Compared to two other bohemian violins i own, it is very light. Do you think it will have good sound?

Worth going to a luthier for an opinion... but I suspect they will say no to repair.  Cost.. way more than its worth!

Is this loosely based on a Stainer?

Also Vion can you see linings and blocks?

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

19th century seems right to me. It’s a built on the back construction with an unusually deeply fluted scroll (maybe overworked), but nonetheless (West)Bohemian in my eyes. I can see no alterations to the ff, the shape is very common for this origin. What was altered was more probably the varnish.

Unfortunately the long bottom post crack and the revarnishing is reducing the value dramatically.

Blankface,

is the uneven back plate join significant for this region.West Bohemia

could this have pine blocks instead of linings? seems wonky, the ribs!

and maybe no corner blocks,

based on Vions' comments of being light.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Gtone said:

Is this loosely based on a Stainer?

Also Vion can you see linings and blocks?

Blankface,

is the uneven back plate join significant for this region.West Bohemia

could this have pine blocks instead of linings? seems wonky, the ribs!

and maybe no corner blocks,

based on Vions' comments of being light.

Thanks

The uneven back joint is evidence of an uneven reglueing, but not of any particular school. Also the model isn’t a copy of anything, neither Stainer nor something else.

I’m not sure what you are meaning with pine blocks instead of linings, but some much older schools than this used such blocks. The OP here I would expect to have pine linings; the wonkyness has more to do with the hastyness of the construction on the back, corner blocks were added (or weren’t) later with this method in any case.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

The uneven back joint is evidence of an uneven reglueing, but not of any particular school. Also the model isn’t a copy of anything, neither Stainer nor something else.

I’m not sure what you are meaning with pine blocks instead of linings, but some much older schools than this used such blocks. The OP here I would expect to have pine linings; the wonkyness has more to do with the hastyness of the construction on the back, corner blocks were added (or weren’t) later with this method in any case.

Yes I couldn't see the neck joint at the top plate so I thought it may be a through neck.

I was thinking older because I had been reading something Jacob Saunders and Yourself were talking  about, Steiger.I know you said west Bohemia,wasn't doubting you,just following my nose.

Thanks Blankface for following up.

12 hours ago, Blank face said:

I would rather guess that the actual are the original nicks, because they are (roughly) in the mid of the f, while the other, extremely way down, were a kind of failed experiment and therefore filled again later. 

Agree, maybe the violin in its original form has a short stop ...?