Maestronet Forums

Interesting New Kits

Mike Atkins

I heard in the description video that the models exactly reproduce the original poster files, so with all the asymmetries of the arching and the outline of the original instruments. While I think it's the only way not to give room for unavoidable interpretations to correct them, I suppose they're meant to make a copy, so not beginner stuff.

The question is, how many serious copyists would be willing to buy them? I don't think many.

However, it seems that they have taken things seriously, hoping that they have also taken into account any printing errors of the posters:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAWmvzlkH8&t=372s

If I were making a copy of a certain instrument, I'd have to make the distortions as close to my interpretation of the original shape as possible. Hopefully, the instrument will warp into something similar in time. 

But I suppose the templates provide some kind of reference for working that out. 

1 hour ago, David A.T. said:

Mastro-Keamon made reviews of these kit here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwgXGO_NEL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIHDcrTFG0

It seems to be nice kits.

Next step is to sell the violin kit with it and a glue pot.;)

It is not the same thing, those reported by the OP (by Cremona Tools) should faithfully reproduce the posters of The Strad with all the asymmetries, the one reviewed by Kimon (by Grandi Liutai) is instead an interpretation of the Messiah made in the most traditional way, that is, taking one half of the back and using only this side to draw the full outline, to make the shape symmetrical. I think they did the same with the arching template too. So not the Messiah, but only an interpretation of it, which would be different if the opposite side were chosen to make the templates.

Personally, I would stay away from these kits, for me the process of making the form and all templates is a fundamental aspect of violin making and allows you to learn a lot, not to be missed.

To be fair, the description at Cremona Tools does say they used the source material for the poster's measurements rather than the posters or photos themselves, not sure if that makes a difference. It also says something like "few corrections" rather than no corrections, but they also suggest there are some discrepancies in the measurements.

So far I've made all my own forms. The hard part for me is determining other than averaging out many instruments, what an appropriate arch height and shape might be. A distorted arching on a poster doesn't help. I'm sure I'll figure something out and learn more as I go.

37 minutes ago, Mike Atkins said:

The hard part for me is determining other than averaging out many instruments, what an appropriate arch height and shape might be. A distorted arching on a poster doesn't help. I'm sure I'll figure something out and learn more as I go.

Perhaps because there is no appropriate arching in an absolute sense:)

2 hours ago, Mike Atkins said:

Maybe I can steal some ideas from here :ph34r:

All of my hopes were destroyed when I read this:

"Over the years I have slowly developed a working method based more on visual perception of curves and sensory sensitivity than on pre-set measurements and models."

So, how about those Heridim Arching templates?

16 hours ago, Mike Atkins said:

Great! That clears everything right up! :D

Maybe I can steal some ideas from here :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Mike Atkins said:

All of my hopes were destroyed when I read this:

"Over the years I have slowly developed a working method based more on visual perception of curves and sensory sensitivity than on pre-set measurements and models."

So, how about those Heridim Arching templates?

You're welcome!

I've never had Herdim templates on hand, so I can't comment on them, but I confirm my sentence that you have reported:)

Templates may be useful to check the results, but not to start the work, because they can easily become misleading. However I prefer to use the profilometer for this, which is basically a variable template that serves to check the shape of your curves against a reference one, and not the other way around.

12 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

You're welcome!

I've never had Herdim templates on hand, so I can't comment on them, but I confirm my sentence that you have reported:)

Templates may be useful to check the results, but not to start the work, because they can easily become misleading. However I prefer to use the profilometer for this, which is basically a variable template that serves to check the shape of your curves against a reference one, and not the other way around.

All kidding aside. There is a lot of great information in the article and great examples in your videos as well. In lieu of having a physical example of good arching, hopefully some templates will at least help to get me in the vicinity. I'm going to try and use a poster, correct what is obvious distortion and see what happens.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, Nick Allen said:

If I were making a copy of a certain instrument, I'd have to make the distortions as close to my interpretation of the original shape as possible. Hopefully, the instrument will warp into something similar in time. 

But I suppose the templates provide some kind of reference for working that out. 

Agreed. That kind of info is ready on the poster though, so it would be much cheaper (for the person that doesn't mind making their own forms) to just reverse engineer the arch distortion from the line drawings/CT from the posters