Maestronet Forums

London Tarisio Auction

I mentioned this in my auction thread, but I wonder if Tarisio just moved some stuff over to the Berlin sale to give it a bigger impact. I also wonder how much stuff from the UK sales was historically consigned from mainland Europe based owners. Perhaps the next step is that Tarisio will target the UK a bit harder in order to get items for its London auctions.

I contacted one Europe place and they flatly said they won’t send anything to the US if it contains any controversial material, which really puts the kibosh on overseas interest.

On the other hand, maybe I can talk my wife into risking covid for a trip over there?

hmmmmm

13 hours ago, Shelbow said:

I mentioned this in my auction thread, but I wonder if Tarisio just moved some stuff over to the Berlin sale to give it a bigger impact. I also wonder how much stuff from the UK sales was historically consigned from mainland Europe based owners. Perhaps the next step is that Tarisio will target the UK a bit harder in order to get items for its London auctions.

Compare the number of lots in Berlin with London and you have your ratio. I know that a lot of stuff was consigned from continental Europe to the UK auctions.

It is not a secret that prices in the UK for instruments are generally higher than in continental Europe. That was one of the main reasons why the instrument auction houses in the UK flourished all this time. People and dealers could simply buy things in Europe and put it at auction in the UK, profit guaranteed! And yes, I am one of those people, buy a French student bow in France, fix it up, sell it at Tarisio with a 40% profit. With Brexit, the influx of instruments from outside the UK has come to a halt and we'll probably see other auction houses making similar moves as Tarisio did. I fear that dealers in the UK have a similar situation but I can't speak for them.

6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I contacted one Europe place and they flatly said they won’t send anything to the US if it contains any controversial material, which really puts the kibosh on overseas interest.

On the other hand, maybe I can talk my wife into risking covid for a trip over there?

hmmmmm

… not buying anything at auction. Yeah, right.

6 hours ago, Guido said:

… not buying anything at auction. Yeah, right.

Ha! It’s true!

I just asked for my own knowledge. I always kick tires at auctions, and I was looking at some thing in England on invaluable, I think, and I noticed the ivory face plate and wrote to the auction house to ask how they handled things like that, and they responded very politely but very firmly that they just don’t ship to the states.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:41 PM, martin swan said:
On 10/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, Dwight Brown said:

I bet Brexit had a lot to do with it. (Not getting involved in anyones politics!!!!)

It will take some time and adjustment I imagine.

DLB

Of course - this is entirely to do with Brexit.

You are giving Tarisio more credit that it deserves by  making it a harbinger of a shifting economy owing to Brexit. Tarisio's decision to open a presence in Berlin is purely for business reasons as the region lacks a worthy enough fine instruments auction house. I don't believe Bongartz holds any auctions anymore and the other auction houses like Dorotheum or the ones in Italy do not specialize in fine instruments.

As for the reason as to why there are very few instruments in the London sale, it can be attributed to fatigue. Unlike a Bromptons where instrument inspection and cataloguing can be fairly decentralized, Tarisio works more like a one man auction house. Each and every instrument needs to be personally seen, touched and authorized by Jason Price before it gets included in the auctions. Instruments frequently do not get included as apparently Jason couldn't get to it as he was inspecting instruments in London or Berlin etc. He probably spent more time in Berlin and trying to make the first auction a success while deciding to go slow on the London auctions.

And I dont believe Brexit or anything else can shift importance from London to other cities. London is a financial powerhouse with well regulated markets, attracts the highest investments in technology in comparison to other European cities, an English speaking population that allows people to travel and conduct business easily, and more market, business friendly. Its position and importance has been cemented through centuries of development and progress which cannot be taken away in such a short timescale.

17 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The last time I was in London was 2015, and I decided that it's a dump, and haven't ever been again

I couldn't agree more. I have sadly lived in London my entire life and long to escape. Although to be fair my childhood was spent a short walk from bushy park near Hampton court palace so I can't really complain about the surroundings.

2 hours ago, Yogic said:

You are giving Tarisio more credit that it deserves by  making it a harbinger of a shifting economy owing to Brexit. Tarisio's decision to open a presence in Berlin is purely for business reasons as the region lacks a worthy enough fine instruments auction house. I don't believe Bongartz holds any auctions anymore and the other auction houses like Dorotheum or the ones in Italy do not specialize in fine instruments.

As for the reason as to why there are very few instruments in the London sale, it can be attributed to fatigue. Unlike a Bromptons where instrument inspection and cataloguing can be fairly decentralized, Tarisio works more like a one man auction house. Each and every instrument needs to be personally seen, touched and authorized by Jason Price before it gets included in the auctions. Instruments frequently do not get included as apparently Jason couldn't get to it as he was inspecting instruments in London or Berlin etc. He probably spent more time in Berlin and trying to make the first auction a success while deciding to go slow on the London auctions.

And I dont believe Brexit or anything else can shift importance from London to other cities. London is a financial powerhouse with well regulated markets, attracts the highest investments in technology in comparison to other European cities, an English speaking population that allows people to travel and conduct business easily, and more market, business friendly. Its position and importance has been cemented through centuries of development and progress which cannot be taken away in such a short timescale.

I would disagree with pretty much every statement.

Tarisio has moved to Berlin because of Brexit.

The comparison between Bromptons and Tarisio is just bizarre. I wonder if you really know the people and the organizations that well?

London - everything has been taken apart in the blink of an eye. Rome wasn't built in a day but it certainly can be dismantled in a day ...

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

I would disagree with pretty much every statement.

Tarisio has moved to Berlin because of Brexit.

The comparison between Bromptons and Tarisio is just bizarre. I wonder if you really know the people and the organizations that well?

London - everything has been taken apart in the blink of an eye. Rome wasn't built in a day but it certainly can be dismantled in a day ...

Of Course you would. No opinion in Maestronet is accurate unless its yours. I don't care though if you agree or disagree. However, having said that I would pretty much assume you seem to not be in touch with modern realities but then again that is my opinion. I am sure you wouldn't agree to that either since it did not come from you

I'm speaking as a dealer based in the UK who is in daily contact with many other dealers in the UK, all of us coping with the fallout from Brexit and the near-impossibility of trading with the EU. Also as someone who is pretty familiar with the business models of the different auction houses - I've talked a good deal with most of the people involved in the UK auction scene about the consequences of Brexit, their decision to move to the EU or not etc.

Your position on this does seem to me to be uninformed, and it has some kind of neo-liberal subtext which I don't share.

I think you should ask Jason if he examines and processes every Tarisio entry personally. What do all the other very competent people do?

Perhaps you are right that I like the sound of my own voice ... a trait shared by most of the regular contributors here. But I will take that one on the chin :lol:

London may be a powerhouse in the financial markets but its also full of dirty  money:o

And yes Tarisio moving to Berlin is obviously to do with Brexit. A great amount of their London offerings came from the EU countries.

Though they may have a harder time selling some of the bows with certain German  certificates in their own country.:ph34r:

I don’t want to be a Pollyanna but I rather regret starting this thread. My own country has become so decisive and a place I hardly recognize. The world is rather broken. We had 18,000 visitors from Haiti under our bridge for about a week and there was a great deal of fear and hatred attached but very little concern or kindness for the strangers among us who were in need.

Again, I’m a nobody and of no importance at all, but I wish we could lock this thread.

DLB