Maestronet Forums

For violin makers only: What is your favorite music while working?

Andreas Preuss

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my iPod mini on random play, so I get whatever comes up:

I might get Prokofiev #5, Fortress Around Your Heart, South Side od the Sky, Mozart, Tarkus, Generation Landslide.  Older Progressive rock, and stuff like Spirit. and older Christian rock, New music isn't on it, because most isn't very good! Shostakovich, Pictures at an Expedition, Spock's Beard. A lot of the classical got taken off, because there is only so much room on that little thing. I guess subscriptions is where they want you to be. All that cloud stuff.

I don't have a radio, and the one on the iPad doesn't come in good. The cell phone doesn't work so well either. 

It is all familiar stuff I can sing, hum, or whistle note for note. Roughing is fine for music. Detail work isn't. I have enough trouble with details. 

3 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Rieu for trudgery sessions? I think he would be amused. 

I was teaching my apprentices to do the trudgery with a steady rhythm. It makes this work much easier.

It was a Christmas gift with four cd's.  Kept me from always having to find music to play -  didn't mind getting them a little dusty either.

During trying times during making that can lead to stress I have found that no noise, closed doors and phones turned off works the best.

5 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

You could try as well Giles Apap or Bratsch. 
And for authentic gypsy music Taraf de Haidouks is really great. 

I'll be sure to check them out, I enjoy listening to Sandor Lakataos too, Roby's uncle.

5 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

…if it were a story I don’t know yet, I…would certainly get distracted…

I receive this reaction often when I tell people that I listen to recorded books while repairing violins and bows.  I can do this because I find that most of the things I do I have done so often that they are automatic.  The two use different areas of the brain, so I can listen to the book while my hands are on auto-pilot.  The quality of my work does not suffer.

If you can converse with someone while fitting a bridge, you’re doing the same thing.

Occasionally I become distracted by something and I have to back up the recording.  And I find that I cannot listen to a book if I have to figure out something like where to put the bass bar or how to do something that I’ve never done before.

One fiddle-playing violin maker who was surprised that I could fix violins while listening to books told me that he listens to fiddle music while working.  I told him that would distract me, because I would hear an interesting note being played.  Then I would have to stop working, pick up a fiddle, figure out what note it was, and play along with the recording.  I would never get any work done.  I can listen to classical music while working, because I couldn’t possibly figure out and play all those notes.

11 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

I'll be sure to check them out, I enjoy listening to Sandor Lakataos too, Roby's uncle.

Sandor's nonchalant ease at playing Paganini's Caprices always amazes me, whilst some of the classical musicians appear to be working up a sweat!

24 Cap.

Classical, old and new country,old/new metal, r 'n b, pop, hiphop, shoegaze, dubstep, classic rock, bluegrass, stoner rock, beer metal 

so like yesterday was...Vivaldi, Ellison.....Colter Wall, Billy Strings, Jessta James, Dwight Yokam...Judas Priest, KK's Priest, Gorjira...R. Kelly, Luther Vandross,Toni Braxton....Poppy, Donkeyboy, Gem Club...Warren G. Post Malone....Catherine Wheel {technically early shoegaze}...Major Lazer ...ac/dc, Deep Purple, Pink Faries, Leafhound....The Gordons...Dozer  Kyuss, The Melvins .....Red Fang ....oh, and then some Bach....in that order :lol:

5 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Classical, old and new country,old/new metal, r 'n b, pop, hiphop, shoegaze, dubstep, classic rock, bluegrass, stoner rock, beer metal 

so like yesterday was...Vivaldi, Ellison.....Colter Wall, Billy Strings, Jessta James, Dwight Yokam...Judas Priest, KK's Priest, Gorjira...R. Kelly, Luther Vandross,Toni Braxton....Poppy, Donkeyboy, Gem Club...Warren G. Post Malone....Catherine Wheel {technically early shoegaze}...Major Lazer ...ac/dc, Deep Purple, Pink Faries, Leafhound....The Gordons...Dozer  Kyuss, The Melvins .....Red Fang ....oh, and then some Bach....in that order :lol:

Seems like a good mix to me!

7 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

Sandor's nonchalant ease at playing Paganini's Caprices always amazes me, whilst some of the classical musicians appear to be working up a sweat!

Tells stories about Paganini bow hold and technique. Allegedly he used a rather light baroque style bowing (on a modern bow) something gypsy players do as well. 

箱根を楽しんで下さい、Preussさん。 ぼくは箱根に一回しか行ったことがないと思う。

I primarily listen to 93.1 Jack FM, Rock of the 80s and 90s, on an aging portable radio in my shop

https://www.audacy.com/931jackfm

But now that I've recently acquired a new CD Player, I may break out the old Celtic Fiddle disks.

1 hour ago, Rico Suave said:

I primarily listen to 93.1 Jack FM, Rock of the 80s and 90s, on an aging portable radio in my shop

But now that I've recently acquired a new CD Player, I may break out the old Celtic Fiddle disks.

Ah yes, how could we forget Gerardo 

4 hours ago, Rico Suave said:

日本語で返事をいただいて、ちょっと驚きました。また日本へいらっしゃいましたら、声をかけください。

Tried to open the link to get a bite of listening to stuff I usually don’t listen to, but the channel refuses listeners in Japan. :unsure:

That’s Jaco’s son singing?

For me, I find the feeling the music gives more important than what the music is.

If I was doing some detailed work which required a lot of concentration, I wouldn’t want anything too fast or bombastic. If I was roughing out a back, it would be a different matter.

I like to listen to Beethoven string quartettes (all of them) I also have a CD of Millstein playing the Bach partitas, which I like to listen to. Matheus Passion is also a favorite. It can get diffucult when I'm working on something I really have to concentrate on, if I catch myself listening to the music

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I like to listen to Beethoven string quartettes (all of them) I also have a CD of Millstein playing the Bach partitas, which I like to listen to. Matheus Passion is also a favorite. It can get diffucult when I'm working on something I really have to concentrate on, if I catch myself listening to the music

Which chamber music groups do you like listening to perform the Beethoven quartets? I agree they are fantastic.

41 minutes ago, BassClef said:

Which chamber music groups do you like listening to perform the Beethoven quartets? I agree they are fantastic.

Smetana quartett I think. It’s fun with the Matheus Passion, because I knew it well as a kid, then rediscovered it later after I had learnt German, and realised it had a really good story too! (similar to the Life of Brian story)

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I like to listen to Beethoven string quartettes (all of them)

I suppose  if there is any work you don’t like you play the last movement of op 135. ;)

i have the Recording by the Melos quartet (I think it was an occasional find in New York) but still want to have the recording by the Guarneri quartet. 

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Smetana quartett I think. It’s fun with the Matheus Passion, because I knew it well as a kid, then rediscovered it later after I had learnt German, and realised it had a really good story too! (similar to the Life of Brian story)

Smetana? Where are they from? Smetana in Ukrainian means sour cream.