Maestronet Forums

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JTL made "Blondelet" violins with a modern finish and an antiqued one. The label looks right (there were a couple of labels, this being an earlier one, see page 10 here : https://www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1919.htm

At first sight I find the bulbous scroll eye a bit unexpected .. but just because I've never seen this on a JTL.

4 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I was going to say that's a lot to pay for a JTL, I have one for $900, but at least I can say that looks like a better grade model than my Celbre Vosgien with fake purfling.

In the 1919 catalogue a Celebre Vosgien model was 36Fr whilst a 'Lutherie d'art' labelled modele D'apres Stradivarius, vernis jaune en imitation vieux was 850Fr.

As a totally non-expert, I have general question - did the top 'imitation vieux' JTL models like this sometimes have blackened peg boxes, akin to those more typically found on 'Markies'? In my limited experience of (lower end) JTL and other Mirecourt factory models I've encountered, including my own 1920s 'Copie de Antonius Stadivarius Cremonensis' labelled example this is not something I would expect to see.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

JTL made "Blondelet" violins with a modern finish and an antiqued one. The label looks right (there were a couple of labels, this being an earlier one, see page 10 here : https://www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1919.htm

At first sight I find the bulbous scroll eye a bit unexpected .. but just because I've never seen this on a JTL.

Thanks Martin. The scroll eye threw me too!

4 hours ago, Bob K said:

In the 1919 catalogue a Celebre Vosgien model was 36Fr whilst a 'Lutherie d'art' labelled modele D'apres Stradivarius, vernis jaune en imitation vieux was 850Fr.

As a totally non-expert, I have general question - did the top 'imitation vieux' JTL models like this sometimes have blackened peg boxes, akin to those more typically found on 'Markies'? In my limited experience of (lower end) JTL and other Mirecourt factory models I've encountered, including my own 1920s 'Copie de Antonius Stadivarius Cremonensis' labelled example this is not something I would expect to see.

In my experience never … I suppose there must be exceptions but I haven’t come across it myself, certainly not with Mirecourt trade violins.

4 hours ago, Bob K said:

The "Copie de..." or "Copie Du..." labels can be found in clearly German instruments.

9 hours ago, Gtone said:

Is there any letter brand or star when you look inside through the treble side?

Yes!  It was difficult to find, because it is branded or stamped into the back about half way between the top of the Cs and the top of the violin's body - where the neck connects to the body of the violin.  It was even harder to image.  I have SmartCamera endoscope, but the only place I can fit the business end of it inside the violin is through the larger hole at the bottom of the ffs.  Then I have to snake it and twist it around attempting to get it pointed at whatever I want to image, and I'm not very experienced using this thing.  But, I did manage to image the "star", or what I would call a sunburst.  I'm pretty sure below the star are the initials JTL.  Here's the image.

Snap_003.jpg

6 hours ago, Aurella said:

Does yours have the Blondelet name stamped under the end pin?

No, mine does not have Blondelet stamped under the end pin.

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you have a JTL of the period, you might like to look through their catalogue of the time, and see if you can find it. Also nice to see all the people who would have made it

https://www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1919.htm

@jacobsaunders thanks for providing the catalog link! I really had no way to know exactly the model of this violin, or where it might rank in the JTL line from least to best quality.  I assumed the Blondelet signature label was likely reserved for higher quality instruments.  After all, with JTL cranking out tens of thousands of instruments each year, one might assume the company's co-director would more likely put his signature on the higher quality line of instruments.  And as Martin pointed out, my label appears to match the label shown on page 10 of the catalog. So, barring any other indicators of violin forgery, I'd like to believe my instrument is from the Lutherie D'Art production line.  But even if it turns out to be another forgery, it is a damn good-sounding one!!

Could you show a close up of the rib joints?

To me it looks more like a Markneukirchen/Schönbach made violin, and the brand somehow fresh and spurious, blackened inside pegbox, screwdriver antiquing and so on.. We saw another fake JTL brand here not long ago. Maybe that are the photos only. OTOH, 900 $ aren't much neither if it's French or Saxon/Bohemian, as long it's in a decent condition.

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

The "Copie de..." or "Copie Du..." labels can be found in clearly German instruments.

I am aware of that but wondered if the 'imitation vieux' Mirecourt violins ever came with a blackened peg box interior?

27 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Could you show a close up of the rib joints?

Is that where the ribs meet the top and bottom plates, or where the different rib sections meet each other, where there might be corner blocks inside?  And are you asking to see images of those joints from inside the violin or from the outside?

16 minutes ago, KB_Smith said:

Is that where the ribs meet the top and bottom plates, or where the different rib sections meet each other, where there might be corner blocks inside?  And are you asking to see images of those joints from inside the violin or from the outside?

Something like this, so that's possible to see if the ends are mitred or simply pinched together in the middle.

By enlargement the antiquing looks more like the French style "acid burn", but this was imitated sometimes.

IMG_3417.JPG

12 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I was going to say that's a lot to pay for a JTL, I have one for $900, but at least I can say that looks like a better grade model than my Celbre Vosgien with fake purfling.

Some of the posts from the OP under the previous thread are blanked out.  Where did you see how much the OP paid for the JTL?  I am curious.

19 minutes ago, KB_Smith said:

I imaged again in better lighting.  I think these shots are in better focus.

1920_JTL_Blondelet_Rib_Joint3.jpg

1920_JTL_Blondelet_Rib_Joint4.jpg

Thanks. From What’s possible to see they look like straight forward French outside mould rib joints, the second coming a bit apart at the bottom.