Maestronet Forums

Beethoven Violin sonatas, remastered.(Clara Haskil, Arthur Grumiaux)

Gtone

5 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

The "new mastering" is horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HILbYu16eHg

Carl can you recommend a better recording.I admit they get these remastering efforts wrong in my ears sometimes,but I have been listening through (good quality)headphones it seemed pretty nice.

I hadn't heard these two play together and have been bowled over with their sensitivity to the sonatas.

11 hours ago, Gtone said:

Carl can you recommend a better recording.I admit they get these remastering efforts wrong in my ears sometimes,but I have been listening through (good quality)headphones it seemed pretty nice.

I hadn't heard these two play together and have been bowled over with their sensitivity to the sonatas.

With Grumiaux and Haskil the original mono recording or the re-issue on cassette ( 1980 ??) were faithful to the original tape which was ( unfortunately ) excessively "dry". I doubt they can still be found in good condition. Personally I started by being a big fan of this recording. I confess to have lost most of my enthusiasm over some 45 years and I know prefer something where the artists are more engaged and less sterile.  I suggest Oistrakh/Oborin or Menuhin/Kempff. 

4 hours ago, Carl Stross said:

With Grumiaux and Haskil the original mono recording or the re-issue on cassette ( 1980 ??) were faithful to the original tape which was ( unfortunately ) excessively "dry". I doubt they can still be found in good condition. Personally I started by being a big fan of this recording. I confess to have lost most of my enthusiasm over some 45 years and I know prefer something where the artists are more engaged and less sterile.  I suggest Oistrakh/Oborin or Menuhin/Kempff. 

I'd say 45yrs is a good run with a recording.I think Clara Haskil is superb on these.

I thought you'd say the original recording.Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Gtone said:

I am really enjoying them as well.

Do you listen whilst you are making or do you prefer silence?

I listen to music all the time...  classical FM station, or CDs, or Italian classic radios.  Sometimes also on the interner, now I am a big fan of the NETHERLANDS BACH SOCIETY, they have tons of things on their youtube channel, with no ads. 

4 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

I listen to music all the time...  classical FM station, or CDs, or Italian classic radios.  Sometimes also on the interner, now I am a big fan of the NETHERLANDS BACH SOCIETY, they have tons of things on their youtube channel, with no ads. 

Yes they are a great ensemble have been enjoying those on the 'tube.

tenha um bom dia Manfio

8 minutes ago, Gtone said:

Infelizmente não, mas a tecnologia do Babelfish está cada vez melhor. No entanto, uma vez tive uma namorada portuguesa, não conversávamos muito:P

Esse tradutor funciona bem!  O português falado no Brasil é bem diferente daquele falado em Portugal....