Maestronet Forums

George Straight violin maker?

PhilipKT

I’m not sure whether this should best go here or in the auction scroll, so if a Mod wants to move it that’s great. This violin maker is not mentioned in my Wenberg book, But this violin doesn’t look like a typical Markneukirchen import. Does anyone know anything about him(and please no Country music jokes. Much too low-hanging fruit)

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/112720348

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

What do you feel about the quality of the work?

I've never seen a professional violin maker put the day and month of completion on their label ...

The lighting is too bad to comment on purfling, the F holes look nice, but the arching looks very flat. The corners  seem to stick out a little bit too much,and varnish appears to be a little bit opaque. Overall it looks like a nice clean instrument, I wish I could tell more. I appreciate you asking the question.

what do you see?

Edited by PhilipKT

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

The lighting is too bad to comment on purfling, the F holes look nice, but the arching looks very flat. The corners  seem to stick out a little bit too much,and varnish appears to be a little bit opaque. Overall it looks like a nice clean instrument, I wish I could tell more. I appreciate you asking the question

Yes it's typical amateur work. Some things about it are very nice (the wood, the varnish and the label :lol:) but the overall conception is very poor. Can't see the scroll, but the corners are pretty awful, probably the scroll too - though often amateur makers kind of wiped their hands of the scroll and bought one in ...

Anyway, you're right, this is something that wasn't made from an MK schachtel.

7 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Yes it's typical amateur work. Some things about it are very nice (the wood, the varnish and the label :lol:) but the overall conception is very poor. Can't see the scroll, but the corners are pretty awful, probably the scroll too - though often amateur makers kind of wiped their hands of the scroll and bought one in ...

Anyway, you're right, this is something that wasn't made from an MK schachtel.

Well apparently I was wrong about the varnish. Can you briefly explain why it looks nice? It looks to me to be a bit thick  and Doesn’t allow the wood to shine through, at least on the top the back is a little bit better.

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

Well apparently I was wrong about the varnish. Can you briefly explain why it looks nice? It looks to me to be a bit thick  and Doesn’t allow the wood to shine through, at least on the top the back is a little bit better.

I don't particularly like it but it's quite American looking and "classic".