Maestronet Forums

Injury question

PhilipKT

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I have a thing about fake musicians. I don’t mind faking but it has to be effective.

If you want a violinist, go out and get a real violinist, dammit…don’t get an actor and hand him a violin…

I'm pretty sure David Garret (like him or not) is an excellent violinist. :P

4 hours ago, Rue said:

I'm pretty sure David Garret (like him or not) is an excellent violinist. :P

If he is the violinist in the red violin, I wouldn’t know, because I did not see the movie. But if he is a character in the movie who plays the violin, and does so without smoke or mirrors, then perhaps I will watch the show

On 9/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, David Burgess said:

Are you part starfish or somethin'? :o

It's amazing how much grows back, including nerves. I've made stuff from wood for money since I was 12, much of it in industrial settings in the 60s and 70s. I won't bore people with war stories, but when you're in a fast-paced environment where rhythm is important..... Stuff happens, and I got bit a few times. Let's say it's a good thing I didn't have a whole lot of musical talent. I thought I was going to lose a finger, but they sewed it up, and it only took 10 or 15 years to get it working again, but the severed nerves regenerated, and I can play fiddle and guitar as well as I ever did, which was never much to crow about, but was only limited by talent, not dexterity.

10 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

If he is the violinist in the red violin, I wouldn’t know, because I did not see the movie. But if he is a character in the movie who plays the violin, and does so without smoke or mirrors, then perhaps I will watch the show

Actually, Joshua Bell provided the solo music and worked as a double in The Red Violin. It's all somewhat smoke and mirrors, but then that's what the story is about.

About four months ago I managed to smash the meaty part of my left hand (between the thumb and forefinger) against the edge of a door jamb strike plate.  It was a perfect, high speed shot right in the middle on whatever nerve is there.

My hand and wrist felt like fire for at least five full minutes and then most of the right side of said left hand lost feeling.  Some feeling returned after an hour.  After THREE months it finally felt normal again with full feeling and no tingling during movement.

As someone who has been in construction since I was 12, using table saws at 14, I like Richwine will spare you the gory details, but I always did have a great appreciation for Eddie Van Halen and his ginormous kahunas as one day he would have just got off stage performing in front of thousands of people , being hailed as the worlds premier guitarist, and the next day he would be in his wood shop cutting out guitar bodies with a band saw, pretty risky business for a guitar god, But his EVH guitars are pretty well thought out and very jam'able. Joe Walsh is also another pro who is very proficient as a builder and particularly guitar tech stuff, super uper duper knows set ups, but all of it jeopardizes the fingys. 

I usually only manage little scrapes and pokes, often from the wood. I dropped a violin neck on my toe and broke it. Just the other day I was cutting something circular on my small bandsaw, and the blade stuck. Turned it off, opened the guard door and spun the wheel to free it. My little finger hit the very sharp edge of the blade GUARD, and put a gash in it. As usual, something odd.

2 hours ago, Ken_N said:

My little finger hit the very sharp edge of the blade GUARD, and put a gash in it. As usual, something odd.

Not that odd.  I also got a scrape (fortunately not a gash) from the sharp edge of my bandsaw blade guard.  In fact, I'm certain that I have gotten more scrapes and cuts from odds and ends around the shop than from blades.  Jagged ends of bar clamps, edges of bandsaw resaw guide support, plastic enclosure for the CNC, etc.  For most of these, I have either rounded off the edges, or made a rounded protector cap on my 3D printer.

9 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Not that odd.  I also got a scrape (fortunately not a gash) from the sharp edge of my bandsaw blade guard.  In fact, I'm certain that I have gotten more scrapes and cuts from odds and ends around the shop than from blades.  Jagged ends of bar clamps, edges of bandsaw resaw guide support, plastic enclosure for the CNC, etc.  For most of these, I have either rounded off the edges, or made a rounded protector cap on my 3D printer.

Well regardless if I'm right or if I'm wrong, basically what your describing is why I decided to primarily make cornerless fiddles, there is some logic in it. Never banged your shin on the corner of a round table did ya ;)

The only injuries I have suffered lately are those from the feral kitten that I mentioned about a few months ago.  A very destructive animal if given the chance. 

I have been bitten everywhere by this almost a cat including the ear lobes - might prove his worth with the mice, as soon as he figures out what those are.  Took four days to catch him when he was little and I needed gloves and a heavy coat to do that.