Maestronet Forums

A String Suggestions

Rehek

Hello fellows! I am looking for a very specific breed of A string, one that could link the warmness and power of a gold E String(Goldbrokat 24k 0.27mm to be exact) with gut D & G Strings(Eudoxa Stiff D & Oliv Stiff G). Looking for an A String with rather low tension, but with enough loudness to accompany the E string while also having enough colors to go with the gut D.

I’ve done a fair bit of researching but couldn’t get any satisfactory options. It’s my first time going off this “gut string” tangent so any help would be appreciated.

Dominants, Tonicas were not very suitable. Evahs were too loud and soloist-y. Not interested in going so far as to try plain guts just yet. Passione A might seem like a good choice as of now, but all these gut things are so dam pricey!! For something so personal and holistic as string choices, it is hard to figure it out without actually trying it out. But thank you experts for your valuable inputs.

Yes, the obvious answer would be the Eudoxa A string, which is a lovely sounding string but unfortunately isn't that stable tuning-wise. The Passione A is a very good bang-for the buck (tension wise) string but I feel that it will likely drown out the Eudoxa Stiff D.

I've tried most strings on my violin, including many gauges of gut strings, and in terms of sound and playing qualities my favourite was a set of Eudoxa (non-stiff) in light gauge with an Oliv e. Unfortunately in terms of tuning stability and matching bowing technique professional work is rather difficult, so I am currently using the new Perpetual Cadenza strings, which are interesting because they are less focused (one could say complex or richer) than most synthetic strings. I would suggest you try the the Perpetual Cadenza A, if you can manage to order it separately. Another option would be the Warchal Amber A, which also has a more fuzzy/rich texture. 

As you said, in the end trying strings is really the only way. Words are too fuzzy. And you need to be secure about setup too - your string choice needs to agree with your instrument's setup.

Pirastro Violino A should work. I find the Violinos a good low tension gut substitute on my fragile oldest violin. Except for the G string, where I use an Evah Pirazzi to ramp up the bass.

Albeit I haven't had much success with Violinos except on that particular violin.

Violino, Obligato, and Evah Pirazzi are essentially the same string, just in different tensions.

Larsen Originals are also pretty low tension.

I'd like to second Mark Norfleet's sentiment - this is more likely an adjustment issue. 

Regarding A strings, there is nothing dated about using a plain gut A in the mix with a steel E and wound gut G and D, or even synthetic G and D (especially something like Warchal Amber). Every tool in the kit has its value and place.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, Rehek said:

Hello fellows! I am looking for a very specific breed of A string, one that could link the warmness and power of a gold E String(Goldbrokat 24k 0.27mm to be exact) with gut D & G Strings(Eudoxa Stiff D & Oliv Stiff G). Looking for an A String with rather low tension, but with enough loudness to accompany the E string while also having enough colors to go with the gut D.

I’ve done a fair bit of researching but couldn’t get any satisfactory options. It’s my first time going off this “gut string” tangent so any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, you now have a rather long list of conflicting information about what works best on other peoples violins.

So far we have mentioned: Plain gut, Evah Pirazzi Gold, Passione, Cantiga, Eudoxa, Perpetual Cadenza, Warchal Amber, Larsen Aurora, Violino & Eudoxa-Aricore.

I'm really not sure what you could do with this information, as to try these will be quite costly, and you may still be no further forward about what works on your violin.
If you have friends or colleagues using different strings, it may be worth trying to poach some of their old A strings, for a brief trial on your own instrument at no cost.

9 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

If you have friends or colleagues using different strings, it may be worth trying to poach some of their old A strings, for a brief trial on your own instrument at no cost.

Only dominants around. And the occasional Evah. What a tragedy for me. Most people here are not very interested in set ups. 

9 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

So far we have mentioned: Plain gut, Evah Pirazzi Gold, Passione, Cantiga, Eudoxa, Perpetual Cadenza, Warchal Amber, Larsen Aurora, Violino & Eudoxa-Aricore.

I think I might try out a few of these, probably the ones at the lower/medium end of the spectrum. But I will be open to any different suggestions. Thank you everyone!

18 minutes ago, Rehek said:

Most people here are not very interested in set ups. 

What is a “set up” in your world?

You might get lucky while experimenting with strings and achieve nirvana, and it will be great if you do!  That said, string makers put a great deal of work and experimentation into combining materials during their design process which generally results in sets of strings that work well as sets on instruments that have been adjusted to suit THAT set of strings.  
Changing a single string, especially on an instrument that is working well, will very likely change the sound and playing characteristics of all the others.

Best of luck with your puzzle.