Maestronet Forums

Violin ID: Johann Furst Mittenwald?

bsharma8

39 minutes ago, martin swan said:

It’s a kind of cop show expression …

I like him for the murderer etc

ie. from what we can see it looks consistent with Mittenwald

I don’t know. There were 4 generations of Johann Fürst in Mittenwald with day job as Guitar/Zither maker. I had a Fürst violin from the 1920’s until I sold it last year. I don’t know if a Fürst made it, or just bought and labelled it, but it didn’t look like the OP pictures. I can’t tell if a violin is Mittenwald or not from out of focus pictures, taken from oblique angles, so if the OP has found it on ebay, he should scroll on down the page and leave it

I stopped asking for more details, informations about inside work etc. because it's more the rule than the exception that these won't be answered from one time posters. The last supposed Mittenwald OP I asked about two weeks ago now, without response, so I don't care much if the photos are taken from from Ebay or another auction, shop or whatever. The thoughts I posted more for myself and those being interested.

But if the OP might have it at hand we should know if it has Mittenwald features like inserted C bout linings, one piece bottom rib and a scroll fluted to the bitter end before telling anything for sure.

They were a big family. Had one by Johann III from 1935. Didn't look at all like this one, but that's not surprising given that it's a different maker and time. Violin is long gone but here's a little information that I noted at the time. Johann Furst III, b. 11/6/1896, son of Thomas F. worked with Gustav Groseck for 4 years, established own shop 1922. The person who taught me worked with one of his descendants.

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

I stopped asking for more details, informations about inside work etc. because it's more the rule than the exception that these won't be answered from one time posters. The last supposed Mittenwald OP I asked about two weeks ago now, without response, so I don't care much if the photos are taken from from Ebay or another auction, shop or whatever. The thoughts I posted more for myself and those being interested.

But if the OP might have it at hand we should know if it has Mittenwald features like inserted C bout linings, one piece bottom rib and a scroll fluted to the bitter end before telling anything for sure.

Not Ebay....Reverb

Vintage Geniuine Hand Made Master Violin Outfit Johan Furst of Mittenwald 1822 ( leather case) | Pleasantville Music | Reverb

Just so everyone knows:

1) you click on one of the images so it is full screen

2) you right click on it and select 'copy image link'

3) you go to images.google.com

4) you select the CAMERA icon, for ''search by image"

5) you paste the image URL and click "Search by image"

6) you scroll until you see this: 

image.thumb.png.23f1f13ef70400b82ff4de431e8aab96.png

15 hours ago, Blank face said:

Old Mittenwalds are featuring occasionally similar decorations, at the scroll often, too.

Thank you!  I haven't seen this before, so once again I learned something new from a random fiddle ID post.  :) 

6 hours ago, mysticpaw said:

I'd try that except we've been in covid lockdown for 89 days .... happy to pay for postage if there's a maker reading this post that has one :)

I have always complained that the Viennese ring up and ask me when I’m going to “be in town again”, whereas the Australians ring up and say “I’m going to be in Europe next month, can I drop in”. No Australian tourist has asked to rummage through my old tailpiece box yet, but I’m sure I wouldn’t need much persuading. I’m sure my colleagues down under have similar boxes full of junk