Maestronet Forums

An interesting scroll

fiddlerjer

21 minutes ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

It looks like it might break if you swing the instrument back and forth too hard.  Don't do that.  

My thinking is I will reinforce that portion of the pegpox and scroll with a layer of long grain. No idea how this will work out in the shop, I mean the joint would need to be really exact. Not going to try this for a while anyway.

51 minutes ago, fiddlerjer said:

My thinking is I will reinforce that portion of the pegpox and scroll with a layer of long grain. No idea how this will work out in the shop, I mean the joint would need to be really exact. Not going to try this for a while anyway.

The scroll and the pegbox could actually be two totally separate blocks of wood, with a tongue of long grain running out from the scroll and becoming the back of the pegbox. (Note I'm thinking about how to recreate the look, not about how this scroll was made)

2 hours ago, fiddlerjer said:

The scroll and the pegbox could actually be two totally separate blocks of wood, with a tongue of long grain running out from the scroll and becoming the back of the pegbox. (Note I'm thinking about how to recreate the look, not about how this scroll was made)

Well I suggest getting wasted and using a screwdriver that you sharpen on the concrete sidewalk , seems like a good place to start 

I don’t really get what is so ‘fascinating’ about this scroll other than completely out of proportion. 

I am not saying that a scroll must look like made by a robot and clean like hell (actually not what I like either). I find it fascinating if a scroll looks a kind of wild but has some unwinding force and vigor in its appearance. More than often those scrolls still follow proportions. 

I’m going to guess that it was made by a rank amateur who knew very little about violin making. I’m also going to guess that if you’re trying to get it back to playing condition, you’re going to to find other “non-standard” things that might be problematic.

2 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

I’m going to guess that it was made by a rank amateur who knew very little about violin making. I’m also going to guess that if you’re trying to get it back to playing condition, you’re going to to find other “non-standard” things that might be problematic.

Yes the entire violin is extremely non-standard.

Here is how such a scroll could be made and be sturdy. (If one had any desire to create such a turd.) You would just cut the sides of the pegbox all the way to the tip of the neck, and the end of the scroll would be a tongue in between the ends of the neck. The back of the pegbox is the end of the scroll.

image.thumb.png.99328f9dbe64c6c94114db1c3763b230.png