Maestronet Forums

The Pegbox A Peg hack

Peter K-G

42 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

It's pain, is there a hack for pegbox A peg?

Wetting the wood could be one, as well as appropriate chisel (not too acute bevel angle and slightly rounded to flow with the bottom curve ) and damn sharp, of course.
But I suppose you already knew them...:)

3 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

It's pain, is there a hack for pegbox A peg?

I can't quite figure out what it is that you are inquiring about. If it is a clean angle at the scroll end of the pegbox, this doesn't really matter, functionally. I prefer mine really clean. Is that what you are asking about?

24 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I can't quite figure out what it is that you are inquiring about. If it is a clean angle at the scroll end of the pegbox, this doesn't really matter, functionally. I prefer mine really clean. Is that what you are asking about?

David, dispite all our past (whatever), I would like to know, yes clean, now  it is, but not without "brute force". Super sharp or what is the way. 

Is it just plain strength (you know I got this, you have to go to the gym, I was born with it)

Do tell....

20 hours ago, duane88 said:

Also, find a shit chisel of the appropriate size and roll a burr, as with a scraper, and use as a pull scraper to clean up the bottom corners and back.

Wow, this is a fantastic idea! It seems like such an obvious thing to do now that I hear it. Thanks

20 hours ago, duane88 said:

Also, find a shit chisel of the appropriate size and roll a burr, as with a scraper, and use as a pull scraper to clean up the bottom corners and back.

18 minutes ago, fiddlerjer said:

Wow, this is a fantastic idea! It seems like such an obvious thing to do now that I hear it. Thanks

No need to roll a burr, even normally sharpened a chisel works perfectly as a scraper, I sometimes use it like this for the bottom of the pegbox. The only drawback is that it spoils the perfect sharpness needed to cut in the normal way a bit.

4 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

No need to roll a burr, even normally sharpened a chisel works perfectly as a scraper, I sometimes use it like this for the bottom of the pegbox. The only drawback is that it spoils the perfect sharpness needed to cut in the normal way a bit.

Exactly, my problem is long gone by now (I did have a hard maple to work with). The water/moisture did the trick)

Thanks!

On 9/18/2021 at 5:41 AM, Peter K-G said:

One more.

Are there anyone of you makers enyoing this final pegbox A peg? 

I find it sado mas....

That’s a mental thing. You can hate any aspect of making an instrument unless you figure out the way it works for you well. Long ago I hated to make the purfling……

Peter,

Cutting the top of the mortise in the shape of the letter M then removing the center part makes the job faster and much cleaner. You can start this just above your highest drill or gouge hole and just keep moving it up under the chin as far as you want. I also will often use a mortise chisel with a rounded bevel as  D. Sora described to under cut the top of the peg box leaving more room for putting on the A string while keeping more wood on the sides of the pegbox to avoid weakening it.