Maestronet Forums

What’s the single greatest movement in chamber music?

BassClef

What is the greatest (define as you will) single movement in any chamber music piece in your opinion? And as a follow up, which is the greatest complete chamber music work? 

not an easy one for me to answer and mine is subject to change. 

For me, the single greatest movement in chamber music is: Dvorak piano quintet op. 81 movement 2.

and for the entire work: Dvorak American. Every movement is well-written, accessible and sounds great.

im a huge fan of Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann, and I have so many favorites but if forced to pick 2, these are currently at the top of my list, which could go on and on. List your top 3 if you absolutely must.

Slow movement, Schubert cello quintet. Arthur Rubinstein said of it, “This music has always sounded to me like a serene and resigned entrance to death. I have always wished to hear this movement, even on a record, in my own last hour.” 

I would also pick the whole quintet as my favorite chamber work--but maybe only if it's performed by Walter Weller's group.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, crazy jane said:

Slow movement, Schubert cello quintet. Arthur Rubinstein said of it, “This music has always sounded to me like a serene and resigned entrance to death. I have always wished to hear this movement, even on a record, in my own last hour.” 

I would also pick the whole quintet as my favorite chamber work--but maybe only if it's performed by Walter Weller's group.

Yes! That is right up there near the top of my list, too. Fantastic piece of music. And the 2nd movement is divine, for sure.