Maestronet Forums

Violin 3/4 Id please

reg

Hello George

Looking through the f hole I can see 3x widely spaced cleats. If there are more it would only be 2 I guess

By Bottom rib do you mean looking at the end pin. It has a definite seam - not like the Mittenwald model

I will try with a light but it may be difficult with the small size

What is your thinking?

There is no discernible notch, no

The back seam it accurate. Sighting down the back it is spot on with the button, but at the bottom rib it is minutely off centre by 0.45mm. This may be due to a previous repair as it does appear to have been worked on at some stage.

20210914_141823.thumb.jpg.365fd59b17b040353782a5669b138694.jpg

22 minutes ago, reg said:

The back seam it accurate. Sighting down the back it is spot on with the button, but at the bottom rib it is minutely off centre by 0.45mm. This may be due to a previous repair as it does appear to have been worked on at some stage.

Thanks for the picture.

It is curious to me because in the picture of the back, the seam appears skewed to the right (bass) side. Not only does the right (bass) side seem narrower, but the seam appears to end a noticeable distance away from the bottom center of the plate. 

Maybe just a photographic illusion.

IMG_5752.JPG

I've got a question about the purfling and the general style of finishing on this violin. The purfling is very close to the edge in this fiddle. I've seen this on a couple of violins, usually what I expect were Markneukirchen/Schönbach trade violins. Mostly the edge work then is rather rounded and most of such violins have everything "smoothed out", except for the corners, which usually are rather "spiky" and long. Like everything you see on this violin. Like with this violin, they usually look like somewhat better quality trade violins, but I don't like this style at all. Is this a style that was in fashion and was it also used by better known violin makers (as opposed to Markneukirchen Handelsware)?

40 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

I've got a question about the purfling and the general style of finishing on this violin. The purfling is very close to the edge in this fiddle. I've seen this on a couple of violins, usually what I expect were Markneukirchen/Schönbach trade violins. Mostly the edge work then is rather rounded and most of such violins have everything "smoothed out", except for the corners, which usually are rather "spiky" and long. Like everything you see on this violin. Like with this violin, they usually look like somewhat better quality trade violins, but I don't like this style at all. Is this a style that was in fashion and was it also used by better known violin makers (as opposed to Markneukirchen Handelsware)?

if you ask such no na questions, I don’t expect anyone will be able to conjure up a satisfactory answer

55 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

It was a style commonly used on Amati labeled dutzenarbeit IMHO

1 hour ago, reg said:

Thank you George - but if you are thinking Strunal (which I am well acquainted with as we used to import them many years back) - this sure ain't one of them!

No, I was not thinking any particular brand. The scroll does not fit common early 20th century Markneukirchen "Dutzendarbeit," the varnish looks 1960ish to me, and the form, purfling, materials, and build look like Czech work.

I suppose it could just as easily be from Bubenreuth in the same period.