Maestronet Forums

Violin I/d - help needed please

El Duce

Hi - I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this violin. The linings are rounded, small blocks and the wood is dark - willow maybe? It has had a few repairs dating from mid 1800s and a very bad DIY neck repair. One piece bottom rib. The varnish looks like it will be very nice once the grime is cleaned off. I was thinking it may be English but would appreciate any views anyone has about origin or maker. Thanks. 

IMG_20210912_145104.jpg

IMG_20210912_145111.jpg

IMG_20210912_145124.jpg

IMG_20210912_145201.jpg

IMG_20210912_145220.jpg

IMG_20210912_145234.jpg

IMG_20210912_145307.jpg

IMG_20210912_145326.jpg

IMG_20210912_145418.jpg

IMG_20210912_145432.jpg

IMG_20210912_145451.jpg

Looks interesting. I know zero about English construction styles/methods but I believe the one piece bottom rib pretty much rules out 'the usual' (i.e  Markneukirchen/Schonbach). Mittenwald may be a possibility but I will await comments from those with more knowledge.

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

The (usual) questions would be: Are the ribs let into channels/grooves at the back, is the belly one piece, how deep is the front scroll fluting? The first two aren't necessary for, but could point to an English origin.

Hi Blank face - The front is 1 piece, no channels/grooves at the back, the front scroll fluting stops about 5mm from the end or 7 o'clock with the scroll pointing to the right.

1 hour ago, Bob K said:

I wondered if the taper of the pegbox might also be a clue but I think it must be a trick of the camera lens and distance that makes it looks so strongly tapered from the front yet almost parallel from the rear?

There is a taper from the front. 

IMG_20210913_111206.jpg

IMG_20210913_111224.jpg

IMG_20210913_111408.jpg

IMG_20210913_111421.jpg

• El Duce changed the title to Violin I/d - help needed please

Do you think the neck is original? (the varnish colour does appear to match well) There is no sign of a pegbox graft so if you are sure about the mid C19th repair dates then that would suggest a window earlier in the C19th.

I'm still hopeful that an expert or two may be able to shed some light for you but in the meantime have you read Jacob Saunders' 'Cornerblockology' threads?

52 minutes ago, Bob K said:

Do you think the neck is original? (the varnish colour does appear to match well) There is no sign of a pegbox graft so if you are sure about the mid C19th repair dates then that would suggest a window earlier in the C19th.

I'm still hopeful that an expert or two may be able to shed some light for you but in the meantime have you read Jacob Saunders' 'Cornerblockology' threads?

I think the neck is original. I think also the repairs are original - however the extent of repairs or replacements I can't know. It looks BOB and the corner blocks are small and carved out. The linings are rounded and not spruce. 

Its a mystery to me so far so hopefully the terrific Mr Saunders will opine. 

6 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I’m afraid I’m not much help. The unusual (wrong?) placement of the f holes, rather far up are of putting, and would suggest something a bit exotic. On the other hand it is easy to get this sort of rural British and Saxon fiddles (and others) mixed up

Thanks Jacob - you are always a great help. Much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I’m afraid I’m not much help. The unusual (wrong?) placement of the f holes, rather far up are of putting, and would suggest something a bit exotic. On the other hand it is easy to get this sort of rural British and Saxon fiddles (and others) mixed up

Perhaps it is a Del Boy Gesu? :D