Maestronet Forums

Best Bow Authenticators in US

NickofTurl

6 hours ago, martin swan said:

I don't think Paul would give an opinion about German bows but Isaac is very interested in them and has a great collection of German makers.

That’s nice to know, I know Paul personally, his paper two of my nice french bows, But I did not know that Isaac was a German expert. The American German expert i always think of is Bruce Babbitt

There's a bit of confusion here I think ...

"Who are the best bow authenticators in the US?" is not the same question as "Who is the best person in the US to certify a German bow?".

Outside of the US, German bows of quality are generally sold with German certificates (Gruenke, HK Schmidt or more recently Wohlleber). But Salchow certificates are increasingly respected for Knopf, Bausch, Nuernberger etc.

Bruce Babbitt has clearly done a lot of research into the Markneukirchen trade but I've never seen a certificate from him and I never heard him spoken of as an authenticator of German bows.

19 minutes ago, martin swan said:

There's a bit of confusion here I think ...

"Who are the best bow authenticators in the US?" is not the same question as "Who is the best person in the US to certify a German bow?".

Outside of the US, German bows of quality are generally sold with German certificates (Gruenke, HK Schmidt or more recently Wohlleber). But Salchow certificates are increasingly respected for Knopf, Bausch, Nuernberger etc.

Bruce Babbitt has clearly done a lot of research into the Markneukirchen trade but I've never seen a certificate from him and I never heard him spoken of as an authenticator of German bows.

I am no one to offer opinions on this. But Mr Swan makes a valuable point, as I read it. Expertise is established and developed by the individual. Not everyone can be an expert on everything. And some experts are willing to offer their expertise, but not at writing papers ( though perhaps Maestro Babbitt does. )

But as opinions are offered freely here, there are those who are valued as experts in their areas of expertise we read what is expressed. What do I know? I value Maestro Dorsey's posts. But I have internally disagreed with some of Maestro Childs' opinions, for example, but his credentials are quite excellent. I own his books and hold is writings in great esteem, but having seen this or that, there are some doubts and some surprises when some owners show me papers.

Maestro Jerry has been has been absent for awhile but his low-key assessments that I have heard have been amazing, insightful.

You are looking for, perhaps, the best forum for your bows? Are you near NY? Is it work flying to the UK?

It is worth going through the archives here and if it too much trouble, one can approach an auction house. For insurance purposes, there are many who are helpful in writing papers for potential increases in value. Not sure, but one of insurance agents wanted evaluations every 5-ish years. 

On the west coast of the US ( where I have caused some trouble ) it appears many in the business do not care what others think. So must be upfront about my brash opinions.

Granted, most European instruments and bows from the forgotten-era came through the East. 

But in my experience, this comes down to complexity in more expensive ( French ) bows. 

My thoughts were incomplete. If the bows to be evaluated are without a doubt what they are stamped, or at least the work of related maker, a better shop can give you that information. Many throughout the US are capable of offering opinions. But if something might be special but unsure of origin, then those experts should be pursued.

Also, I demonstrated a better, stamped, student "German" bow against a French bow that cost 200x, the other evening and the player sounded better with the "German" bow. So playability is not always the issue when it comes to pricing. It is worth your time to search out a group of experts. Older bows are absolute pain.

7 hours ago, GoPractice said:

On the west coast of the US ( where I have caused some trouble ) it appears many in the business do not care what others think. So must be upfront about my brash opinions.

Granted, most European instruments and bows from the forgotten-era came through the East. 

But in my experience, this comes down to complexity in more expensive ( French ) bows. 

My thoughts were incomplete. If the bows to be evaluated are without a doubt what they are stamped, or at least the work of related maker, a better shop can give you that information. Many throughout the US are capable of offering opinions. But if something might be special but unsure of origin, then those experts should be pursued.

Also, I demonstrated a better, stamped, student "German" bow against a French bow that cost 200x, the other evening and the player sounded better with the "German" bow. So playability is not always the issue when it comes to pricing. It is worth your time to search out a group of experts. Older bows are absolute pain.

One of my friends eines has a perfect condition HR Phretschner That is one of the best three or four bows I have ever played. Every time we get together I try and buy it from him, and he smiles and offers me his beat up Nürnberger instead.

I decline, he declines, and then we play our music, and at the end of the session he makes sure I have returned the correct bow.