Maestronet Forums

A "strong" violin?

Tom_R

I remember reading a long while ago (source forgotten) about some very fine violins whose best tone and projection could only be brought out by the highest caliber players. In another context I overheard a conservatory student refer to a violin she tried as "strong," which I at first interpreted as a positive description of its sound - very good to my ear. It was later clarified that she meant "it took a lot of work" to make it sound that way. Is this use of "strong" common in describing a violin like this?

Thanks,

- Tom

21 minutes ago, Tom_R said:

I remember reading a long while ago (source forgotten) about some very fine violins whose best tone and projection could only be brought out by the highest caliber players. In another context I overheard a conservatory student refer to a violin she tried as "strong," which I at first interpreted as a positive description of its sound - very good to my ear. It was later clarified that she meant "it took a lot of work" to make it sound that way. Is this use of "strong" common in describing a violin like this?

Thanks,

- Tom

Never heard the term "strong" used in this manner.  But I am no professional.

3 hours ago, Zeissica said:

I've always thought of a "strong" instrument as one that has a lot of sound output, i.e. "loud". 

Yes, that was my understanding as well until I heard it used this other context! Probably just a one-off comment since it's not connecting with anyone here...

Coincidentally, a related comment about great but difficult instruments was just made on another thread in the Pegbox -

The descriptions are important in context. "You had to be there," was/ is a common refrain. So am curious has it was explained.

Resistant. is one I like. Guarded, is another.

In front of many people or on the record, there are the more diplomatic words that might be necessary. One might not have had the opportunity to explore an instrument fully, or even had a chance to be acquainted with it, before the questions are asked.

There have been instruments that I have wanted to praise, own or dismiss, but the time had run out, did not have the cash or the maker was standing there infront of others whom I did not know. It is awkward, but given a host, determined to show their wares, is still the the Host. At times, I believe that the player's opinion is unreliable as we are hearing the instrument only from one perspective. The Point Of View may not be the correct as those hearing it at a distance find it excellent while the player finds the instrument burdensome. I try to listen to and "feel" the space but as a player, the circumstances can still be unreliable.

There was a demo, once, where the maker with setter in hand, made an adjustment and it was as if he performed the Heimlich on the instrument. It was at a store, and to the owner's surprise, it was not set up very well.