• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, LouisXVI said:

Sure thing lord sauders

20210907_100216.jpg

20210907_100208.jpg

Mr Louis is making fun with you. It's just one of the usual Tapetendruck prints, probably switched over from a Markneukirchen violin. It's impossible to "touch up" a handwritten label in such a smooth and regular way, or you would need to study handwriting for many years and have very special skills.

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

Mr Louis is making fun with you. It's just one of the usual Tapetendruck prints, probably switched over from a Markneukirchen violin. It's impossible to "touch up" a handwritten label in such a smooth and regular way, or you would need to study handwriting for many years and have very special skills.

I am glad you cleared that up, as I was naive enough to zoom right into that label to see how it had been inked over. I seriously thought that this guy must be a genius to make such a good job of it. It also makes me feel a bit more at ease about a very similar label that I looked at in a violin at a local auction house a couple of months ago. That one purported to be 18th century French, and was advertised as such. But on close examination the violin had all the hall marks of the "usual",  but the label was like this one in blue hand  written ink and was extremely convincing.

5 hours ago, Delabo said:

I am glad you cleared that up, as I was naive enough to zoom right into that label to see how it had been inked over. I seriously thought that this guy must be a genius to make such a good job of it. It also makes me feel a bit more at ease about a very similar label that I looked at in a violin at a local auction house a couple of months ago. That one purported to be 18th century French, and was advertised as such. But on close examination the violin had all the hall marks of the "usual",  but the label was like this one in blue hand  written ink and was extremely convincing.

Why only Lord Sauders believe what I say?

10 hours ago, Delabo said:

Besides, saying that I'm not skillful enough to write 2 words with ink on paper is kind of offensive. Don't you think so? Lol

13 hours ago, LouisXVI said:

Why only Lord Sauders believe what I say?

Mr Saunders has not said that it is correct. To do that he would have to see it in person. The label appears to be the same, but Blankface has gone on record to say it is a facsimile. I am not an expert, and so I defer to Blankface who is one.

8 hours ago, LouisXVI said:

Besides, saying that I'm not skillful enough to write 2 words with ink on paper is kind of offensive. Don't you think so? Lol

Just "two words" ?

I thought you said that you inked over all of it ?  So you only touched up two words.Which ones ? Sorry to cause offence, and if you say you inked over the label, I believe you. The trouble is, as I see it, that if the label was real, and you have inked over it all, then there is no way any longer to tell if it is  real or a facsimile. Mr Saunders left his untouched for that very reason. Did you take photos of the label before you inked it over ?

On 9/10/2021 at 3:39 AM, Delabo said:

Just "two words" ?

I thought you said that you inked over all of it ?  So you only touched up two words.Which ones ? Sorry to cause offence, and if you say you inked over the label, I believe you. The trouble is, as I see it, that if the label was real, and you have inked over it all, then there is no way any longer to tell if it is  real or a facsimile. Mr Saunders left his untouched for that very reason. Did you take photos of the label before you inked it over ?

The name ny friend

6 hours ago, Blank face said:

I told you exactly what we need to know to decide this.

As soon as I open my workshop I will see

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/7/2021 at 4:51 AM, LouisXVI said:

Hi guys, this violin came to me workshop today, any idea of what is it?

PSD:the scroll was changed so I dont update photos of it thanks in advance!

20210906_214751.jpg

20210906_214801.jpg

20210906_214755.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to compare King Louis’ violin with a Joseph Klotz senior from 1808(?) that I have in my front room. I couldn’t make my mind up, so I have finally got around to organizing some photos, so he can try to compare his fiddle with mine:

Joseph klotz sen schnecke bass.jpg

Joseph Klotz sen schnecke vorne.jpg

Joseph klotz sen schnecke diskant.jpg

696737280_Josephklotzsendecke.jpg

74489276_JosephKlotzsenBoden.jpg

Thank you Lord Jacon to me it is exactly the same. Do you have a picture of the back?

Thanks for editing the post adding the back picture!!

BTW I was trying to send the picture you were requesting but I dont know how to take it the way you can see what you are asking for

44 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to compare King Louis’ violin with a Joseph Klotz senior from 1808(?) that I have in my front room. I couldn’t make my mind up, so I have finally got around to organizing some photos, so he can try to compare his fiddle with mine:

Joseph klotz sen schnecke bass.jpg

Joseph Klotz sen schnecke vorne.jpg

Joseph klotz sen schnecke diskant.jpg

696737280_Josephklotzsendecke.jpg

74489276_JosephKlotzsenBoden.jpg

You have a nice front room!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

We tried to take pictures of the (un-retouched) label on my Kloz senior, it was quite diffucult. See if that is any help

Klotz Sen Label I.jpg

Klotz Sen label II.jpg

Thank you so much lord sauders. I do appreciatte it. I would like to know what is your opinion after seeing all the evidence?(it has been imposible for le to picture the cornerblocks)

3 hours ago, Bob K said:

The writing looks very similar but if they are by the same hand, it seems that Mr Kloz changed the way he formed a Z (or whoever inked over it did)

And the ending of the "K", someone else did the ink? Something else?

19 minutes ago, LouisXVI said:

Thank you so much lord sauders. I do appreciatte it. I would like to know what is your opinion after seeing all the evidence?(it has been imposible for le to picture the cornerblocks)

I'm not absolutly certain, but they are surely very close

2 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I'm not absolutly certain, but they are surely very close

Maybe a relative's or someone, seeing the label missing or destroyed decided to change it with a "new one". Is there anything could help you out to clear your mind?