Maestronet Forums

Speaking of Juzek(relisted: now w/bow info!)

PhilipKT

19 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Rubbish, that is what Fora are for, amongst other things

Speculations that taint reputations without some reasonable evidence to back the claims are best avoided or else the Fora itself becomes suspect. That said....

The Dark Reality Behind America’s Greatest Thrift Store Empire | by Alice Minium | Medium

Just a starting point for inquiring minds.

I would have thought they would simply hang the violin at the local thrift shop. But if one wanted to maximize profits on the sale of free goods, hard to argue with unsupervised auctions over the internet.

41 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Why are you trying so hard to defend shill bidding?

I am not defending anything nor anybody.

I am simply asking for evidence to support your assertions that there are "multiple cancellations over and over again" and  "Goodwill has shill bidding on steroids IMHO." So far you have offered absolutely none.

If you're going to publicly accuse somebody of something, you should have solid evidence to support your accusations. "IMHO" is not evidence, BTW.

I have purchased several gorgeous violins in Goodwill auctions, and have been quite satisfied that the bidding process was fair. I was not a bidder in this particular auction.

48 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Mr. Various is entitled to his “humble opinion”. One could share it, or one could disagree. Telling him to shut up isn’t a tolerable discussion though

Based on my polished expertise in forum brinksmanship (along with some modest training in logic and commercial law), what I quoted from @Strad O Various Jr. is beyond the limits, with reference to the "Personal attacks" clause of https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/forum/5-the-auction-scroll/#elForumRules

OTOH, what @ctanzio said, as it cites an article relating matters of public record, is protected on MN by precedent established by you yourself (and several others) in commenting on the Machold case. 

My concern is that "gut feel" ad hominem comments like the one I objected to will attract censure from the mods.  Let's not get another thread locked.  :)

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Mr. Various is entitled to his “humble opinion”. One could share it, or one could disagree. Telling him to shut up isn’t a tolerable discussion though

I have a vignette that is applicable here.  I may or may not have used that site and its equivalents in the somewhat distant past.  I found something that I knew was a bit special.  No one else had bid on it. Several days before the auction ended, my lowly bid still stood.  That made me nervous, so 24 hours before the auction ended I put a much larger bid in to backstop my winning the items because it was a great value and something that I very much wanted. 

With less than one minute remaining in the auction, I was online watching just in case,  a 'sniping' attempt had been made, but what I thought on hard and long was that it wasn't really a sniping attempt.  Clearly someone somewhere knew my bid and maximized the "charity's" profits.  How do I know?  From messing around on ebay for years, I always come up with wonky bid numbers.  In this case, lets say I chose $834.63.  The back-bidder was $833.63.   I still got a bargain, but as you can't see touch, feel, inspect any of their rubbish (and wow, is there a lot of rubbish), you are taking plenty of risk. 

There are a lot of games going on on those websites...

<Oops, I didn't mean to quote jacobsaunders there!>

1 hour ago, MatthewThomas said:

I have a vignette that is applicable here.  I may or may not have used that site and its equivalents in the somewhat distant past.  I found something that I knew was a bit special.  No one else had bid on it. Several days before the auction ended, my lowly bid still stood.  That made me nervous, so 24 hours before the auction ended I put a much larger bid in to backstop my winning the items because it was a great value and something that I very much wanted. 

With less than one minute remaining in the auction, I was online watching just in case,  a 'sniping' attempt had been made, but what I thought on hard and long was that it wasn't really a sniping attempt.  Clearly someone somewhere knew my bid and maximized the charity's profits.  How do I know?  From messing around on ebay for years, I always come up with wonky bid numbers.  In this case, lets say I chose $834.63.  The back-bidder was $833.63.   I still got a bargain, but as you can't see touch, feel, inspect any of their rubbish (and wow, is there a lot of rubbish), you are taking plenty of risk. 

One of the reasons why I only bid on eBay is because of their published terms of service and internal safeguards with regard to seller misconduct.  There's nothing to protect you from sneaky shilling, but the seller can't see your max bid limit.  I've won enough auctions on eBay with most of my "pad" left to be reasonably sure of that.  Seller owned auction sites can write their own code, and can see everything.  I see that as a hazard.  :)

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Yeah that’s what I thought, those fancy English and their Latin and their extra vowels cluttering up words…oy.

How they managed to rule the world is beyond me.

Based on contemporary Victorian memoirs and political commentaries I've read, dumb luck had a lot to do with it.  :ph34r: :lol:

2 hours ago, MatthewThomas said:

With less than one minute remaining in the auction, I was online watching just in case,  a 'sniping' attempt had been made, but what I thought on hard and long was that it wasn't really a sniping attempt.  Clearly someone somewhere knew my bid and maximized the "charity's" profits.  How do I know?  From messing around on ebay for years, I always come up with wonky bid numbers.  In this case, lets say I chose $834.63.  The back-bidder was $833.63.   I still got a bargain, but as you can't see touch, feel, inspect any of their rubbish (and wow, is there a lot of rubbish), you are taking plenty of risk. 

<Oops, I didn't mean to quote jacobsaunders there!>

I don't want to scare violadamore but I've had this exact same thing happen on ebay, I put in a high max bid, it stays low right till the last second till an anon bidder comes in and bids just a couple dollars below my maximum, as if they knew full well what my max bid was, and were making sure not to bid higher than it. That's one of the reasons I stay out of ebay auctions.

6 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I don't want to scare violadamore but I've had this exact same thing happen on ebay, I put in a high max bid, it stays low right till the last second till an anon bidder comes in and bids just a couple dollars below my maximum, as if they knew full well what my max bid was, and were making sure not to bid higher than it. That's one of the reasons I stay out of ebay auctions.

I dunno.  It could still be sharp guessing.  I know of a few sellers who are suspected of slipping a "phantom reserve" bid in at the last moment, but usually, when I get buried under a flurry of bids in the last 10 seconds, the numbers show afterwards, it's all or mostly old-timers like me.  If something has 30 watchers, there's gonna be a dogfight, and all of us know roughly what something is worth.  I really don't expect anything good for a minimal bid, except when the whole community in a certain niche has a collective brainfart, which is terribly rare, but has happened.

I usually don't put in early bids unless I seriously want something, and then I place one at the entry, and a second one for the absolute max, and then I let things sit.  When you see two bids showing, and the bids are still on the minimum, that's what's going on.  Some pro has it staked out, and you are going to have to pay to see their cards.  :)

Only ebay could possibly know how high your max bid is, I don't think there's a way for regular bidders to hack into something like that, and then what would there motivation be for wanting to lose the bid and make you pay your max bid? unless of course it was the seller, but I think the evidence points to ebay trying to maximize their profits

I think with this particular listing, somebody probably received it and realized it wasn't an MA so they returned it and it was re-listed.  I've noticed that SGW usually says no returns but I think the policy is inconsistently applied depending on location.  I've returned things before (I usually buy antique jewelry) and they didn't quibble a bit, I just had to pay a small "re-stocking fee" and they refunded the rest. They even sent me a return label.   I imagine with items that go for a few thousand they're OK with it being returned because the person who lost out will try to snap it up as soon as it's listed again, which will drive the price up again.