looking for more info on possible maker/shop of this gold mounted bow and some repair advice

vathek

This is a very nice German gold mounted vintage bow. Wood is straight grained and it looks like quality materials were used. I'm curious to know if it has any elements that can pin it down to a possible maker (possibly Siefert?). There are no pins in the adjuster. The adjuster has a split in one of the gold covers and I wonder whether I should send it to a bow maker or if a jeweler could do it. There are no string repair shops in my area.

bow6.JPG

bow7.JPG

bow5.JPG

bow2.JPG

bow3.JPG

bow8.JPG

bow2.JPG

bow1.JPG

• vathek changed the title to looking for more info on possible maker/shop of this gold mounted bow and some repair advice
6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

@jezzupe

is an expert

bows, no, I've certainly worked with gold , I think the question or challenge is can it be braised on the spot and then leveled down or will complete disassembly be required , something tells me the later is the safest and probably only way to go to repair the screw without doing damage. and frying the stick..."ya we were able to close up that gap, the stick caught fire but boy that seam sure is closed up" :o

on a more serious note, I do think that with the screw removed from the stick and the spacer shielded and isolated that gold solder could be braised on and then leveled and polished fairly easily, for the flat part, the little crimp  and detail at the end, that would be hard to blend in 

When I said the job was beyond the capabilities of a jeweler, I was thinking of making a new ring.  But perhaps a jeweler would be able to remove the split ring, solder the split and put it back on.  I suggest you show it to a jeweler.  The straightness of the split suggests that the original solder joint has separated.

9 hours ago, jezzupe said:

bows, no, I've certainly worked with gold , I think the question or challenge is can it be braised on the spot and then leveled down or will complete disassembly be required , something tells me the later is the safest and probably only way to go to repair the screw without doing damage. and frying the stick..."ya we were able to close up that gap, the stick caught fire but boy that seam sure is closed up" :o

on a more serious note, I do think that with the screw removed from the stick and the spacer shielded and isolated that gold solder could be braised on and then leveled and polished fairly easily, for the flat part, the little crimp  and detail at the end, that would be hard to blend in 

Aren’t you the expert bow repairman? Did I mistake your for someone else?

I see a Grand Adam that has had that very same crack in the gold ring since who knows when, at least the 2001 Tokyo Exhibit. Hasn't gone anywhere yet.

Unless it is moving when you tighten the bow, I'd be tempted to leave it, and if it is, I'd be tempted to suggest a replacement button and conserve the one we see.

43 minutes ago, Rothwein said:

Philip, you may be thinking of Triangle Strings, who at least on this forum have been quiet so as not to be accused of advertising.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking of. And he doesn’t post here very much anymore, and I was trying to find his email address. I also garbled the spelling of his last name, but there’s enough there for you to proceed if you wish

Any bowmaker in your area (or where you are comfortable mailing it) who is used to making bows with with gold (most all better makers) can easily handle this (As FC said).  I'm not sure if Jerry P does much gold soldering, but it wouldn't surprise me and he would do a good job.  I do this all the time on silver (pull the ring, solder, clean up and....), but not on gold.  I would just pull it off and run it next door to the jeweler and have him solder it.  You really don't want a jeweler removeing that ring and messing with your button.  

19 hours ago, martin swan said:

Very few bowmakers who use gold are confident about repairing/soldering gold on account of the low temperature required.

I give this kind of work to our local jeweller/watch repairer - he always does a great job.

Unless your jeweler is smarter that the ones around my area I would take the ring off first rather than giving him the bow. Also make sure they file and hand polish the repair rather than using an electric buffing wheel which is likely to soften the corners of the facets.

21 hours ago, martin swan said:

Very few bowmakers who use gold are confident about repairing/soldering gold on account of the low temperature required.

I give this kind of work to our local jeweller/watch repairer - he always does a great job.

Martin its temperature when soldering is slightly higher than sterling silver.  Ive never had any problem soldering gold.Though it is a little tricker since cadmium fluxes/solders were banned which worked great and at a slightly lower temp but now well known to give off nasty fumes.

4 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Unless your jeweler is smarter that the ones around my area I would take the ring off first rather than giving him the bow. Also make sure they file and hand polish the repair rather than using an electric buffing wheel which is likely to soften the corners of the facets.

of course ...

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Martin its temperature when soldering is slightly higher than sterling silver.  Ive never had any problem soldering gold.Though it is a little tricker since cadmium fluxes/solders were banned which worked great and at a slightly lower temp but now well known to give off nasty fumes.

OK thanks for the clarification - I wonder why people are reluctant. I had a very nice Prell in gold with a split in the button just like the OP's bow. Couldn't get any of my go-to bow restorers to touch it ...