Maestronet Forums

Bridge stamp

Andro

1 minute ago, Andro said:

I thought some may be incorrectly done?

Bridge blanks are not branded by selecting the appropriate side one by one, but are branded in batches of same wood quality.  But wood is a non-homogeneous material, and even in the best quality batches there can be slight differences in orientation of the grain and fiber. So it is up to you which side to choose, based on the orientation of the medullary rays visible on the narrow sides of the bridge

8 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

Bridge blanks are not branded by selecting the appropriate side one by one, but are branded in batches of same wood quality.  But wood is a non-homogeneous material, and even in the best quality batches there can be slight differences in orientation of the grain and fiber. So it is up to you which side to choose, based on the orientation of the medullary rays visible on the narrow sides of the bridge

For this very reason, I always plane away the manufacturers stamp. 

I've found that they are generally inconsistent with which side they choose to stamp when taking the tilt of the grain on the side of the bridge. 

There seems to be two camps with this, though. On one hand, you have the people who like the grain to be parallel with the plane of the ribs. And on the other hand, you have people who like the grain to be perpendicular to the bisected string break angle. 

For these reasons I always choose to just remove the logo. I find that the bridge looks more classy without it anyways. 

As for the luthier's stamp. They seem to usually be on the side facing towards the fingerboard, away from the player. 

12 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I always plane away the manufacturers stamp. 

I find that the bridge looks more classy without it anyways.

I always remove the brand of the manufacturer, the brand of the luthier who actually cut the bridge is much better.

He's the one who did the crucial work, the manufacturer never got his hands on it because the bridge blanks are machine-cut, it's not much of a credit...;)

25 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

On student, intermediate grade violins, it helps to let the customer know you are using a premium bridge blank and not a cheap knock off, so I leave the brand.

Yep, but I don't service these violins, and maybe an expensive bridge is not worth using at all:)

1 hour ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

When an expensive bridge costs $17 and a cheap bridge cost less than $5, what's the point of saving $12 on a set up to use a completely inferior bridge, unless you're just a cheapskate.

Well. Anything goes these days. The Aubert #5 that I use for cheap stuff is leagues better than the Luxes and and DeLuxes. At least with Aubert, the quality isn't really in the stamp. 

33 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Well. Anything goes these days. The Aubert #5 that I use for cheap stuff is leagues better than the Luxes and and DeLuxes. At least with Aubert, the quality isn't really in the stamp. 

So you are claiming that Aubert is a totally fraudulent company that sells their best bridges for much less than what they consider their better quality specially selected more expensive bridges, what total nonsense, how could a company stay in business with that kind of operational ethic?

4 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I never sell violins on ebay Jacob, what kind of bridge blanks do you use?

I have never sold a violin on ebay, I would rather eat shit. I use a variety of Aubert, the best Teller, and some from a bridge maker in Serbia.

When I make someone a bridge, I am selling them a Saunders bridge, and not an Aubert or whatever, therefore the factory stamp needs planing off

I'm telling the customer that I'm using a quality $20 French bridge included in the cost of fitting their bridge, I don't see the point of my planing off the brand and expecting them to take my word for it, I can understand on really high end violins that might seem tacky, but that isn't the market I specialize in, I really don't understand why it is so important to plane off the brand unless you are using really cheap blanks and don't want the customer to know. I could totally understand if you find the medullaries are better oriented on the unbranded side, but I never see that with the better Auberts

47 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

So you are claiming that Aubert is a totally fraudulent company that sells their best bridges for much less than what they consider their better quality specially selected more expensive bridges, what total nonsense, how could a company stay in business with that kind of operational ethic?

I don't think it's as nonsensical as you think. 

Aubert is down bad these days. I'm not claiming that their practices are dubious by any means. Just that their wood selection and sorting leaves something to be desired. 

I select blanks on a case-by-case basis. I don't need the logo to be there for my workmanship and customer relationship matters. 

But every luthier-customer relationship and market is different. 

11 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I'm telling the customer that I'm using a quality $20 French bridge included in the cost of fitting their bridge, I don't see the point of my planing off the brand and expecting them to take my word for it, I can understand on really high end violins that might seem tacky, but that isn't the market I specialize in, I really don't understand why it is so important to plane off the brand unless you are using really cheap blanks and don't want the customer to know. I could totally understand if you find the medullaries are better oriented on the unbranded side, but I never see that with the better Auberts

Gaining customer trust is everything in our job, but if you prefer to leave the manufacturer brand, there is no problem.

9 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Gaining customer trust is everything in our job, but if you prefer to leave the manufacturer brand, there is no problem.

thank you David, I'm surprised I have to go to such lengths to defend my choice of option, anyone is free to plane off their brands if they like to, I just see no benefit to doing that in my so small business.

16 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

thank you David, I'm surprised I have to go to such lengths to defend my choice of option, anyone is free to plane off their brands if they like to, I just see no benefit to doing that in my so small business.

Apart from the "aesthetic" evaluations, I find it difficult to keep the manufacturer brand intact because it limits me in the choices on the shape to give to the bridge in section, but it's just my problem:)

4 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Apart from the "aesthetic" evaluations, I find it difficult to keep the manufacturer brand intact because it limits me in the choices on the shape to give to the bridge in section, but it's just my problem:)

Yes I'm pretty basic, I always leave the brand side at the back and flat, then I plane the front and leave the middle and the feet roughly the same thickness, about 4.5 mm then taper to the top, and then cutaways to the kidneys and the bottom arch

33 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I was never attacking your opinion. Just stating what I like to do. There's really no right or wrong in this matter. Just taste. 

Well there are good and bad bridges, well fit and poorly fit etc, Ive tried the cheaper Aubert bridges, they  seem to me to be a softer grade of wood than the Luxe and Deluxe, the cut too easily with the knife, that's why I find the idea that the cheaper ones are superior to sound like some kind of conspiracy theory, I think Aubert is a quality company, you can buy better bridges, but they cost quite a bit more.

27 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Personally I find the brand being left on a bit toy-town, and would never want anything like that on a bridge I’d paid for. I don’t mind the makers/restorers own stamp on the front.

Seems to be more common in America to have to leave on the manufacturers brand, to “prove” you used a good one. 

So I guess you're one of these people that buys designer clothing, and immediately cuts the labels out so no one can think you're uppity, no?