Maestronet Forums

Flattmountain Bench

Hi all! Figured I'd try and document some progress here

I don't have many pictures of the violin in progress, but heres a decent repair to be finalized tomorrow. A rather nice German early 20th cent. 3/4 violin. Issued addressed were; a saddle crack, split end block replacement, rib shortening, blackwork, and full setup.

233282531_920838358791175_1275688964056228160_n.thumb.jpg.b7476cf82c984873b713a39864ae30d1.jpgIMG_20210813_161804986_HDR.thumb.jpg.d90004a113a820552f93242b667d2f84.jpg235259350_4940973639252618_1124361015398847045_n.thumb.jpg.df86b860ba98a8785c3e922004fb3251.jpg

Looks like fun...i cant tell from the photo..but was the saddle crack not on the center seam?  must be close if not. should be a nice little violin when you finish it up. more pics plz... and also those of your ongoing build.  

27 minutes ago, dand said:

Looks like fun...i cant tell from the photo..but was the saddle crack not on the center seam?  must be close if not. should be a nice little violin when you finish it up. more pics plz... and also those of your ongoing build.  

its around 1.8 millimeters to the left of the center seam thankfully. I will have more pics with a better camera tomorrow before and after set up :D and some updated build pics. I'm headed to college next Sunday, so I wont be working again til Christmas sadly.. 

very nice work on the build...good choice of wood also.

what is the second short neck about?  for practice?

i like the leather wrap on your gouge in the one photo. i use gobs of leather for work mats , clamping, stropping... etc.  

good luck and have fun at college. 

58 minutes ago, dand said:

very nice work on the build...good choice of wood also.

what is the second short neck about?  for practice?

i like the leather wrap on your gouge in the one photo. i use gobs of leather for work mats , clamping, stropping... etc.  

good luck and have fun at college. 

Thanks!

and the short neck is basswood... not my favorite to work with, but it is for practice so it gets the job done.

leather is about the greatest material (other than wood) out there:lol:

I'll be sure to do just that! thank you!

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

Do you want a job? There’s a violin shop here that needs you!

I would love a job!! However I will be in the not Texas area for quite some time:( being a broke college student of VA I'll be doing whatever work I can:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

That’s a lot of effort for a three-quarter size violin, but it looks like it is rewarding you

It really is a rather lovely violin... so far, no one has been able to comprehend the quality. Even myself! besides that, it will go to my little sister when she's big enough

Adventure today (don't have any pictures)... A surprise neck set!! doncha just love wrapping up a repair to find the neck is somehow lose in its mortis... 

Other than that we have the 3/4 set up and homer the little sister. Plays beautifully for a fractional fiddle, but still has a lot of opening up to doIMG_3810.thumb.JPG.b92333fc41a7abe1e6f034209b53f953.JPGIMG_3820.thumb.JPG.983dda703555b0c9903d7ab8bb89b877.JPGIMG_3818.thumb.JPG.0788fc30ac3ca2ee087c6dbf3a78364f.JPG

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

No need to comment on the corners.  On a separate note, you have done a really nice job cutting the purfling channel cleanly and evenly.  Have you done the top plate yet?  

Thanks for the support :D

I have not. I think I’ll start that Friday. 

I see you are building your pies on an external mould, unlike the traditional English pork pie which is often made on an internal mould! Will you be applying a ground of milk or of egg to glaze/varnish the pastry?

Please excuse my violin/pie construction lame jokes. I do like eating pies but sadly am not good at making them and when on occasion I travel around England I take simple delight in trying local pies.

Many years ago (1985!) I was in the USA for thanksgiving and really enjoyed pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

I hope you and your family enjoy your excellent looking, and presumeably tasting, pies!

I forgot to mention your violin is looking good too!

Edited by Andrew tkinson
Forgot something!