Maestronet Forums

Can you tell something about our violin?

Hatim

We have got the violin of the great grandmother (born 1877 Holland) of my wife (Norway).

In the violin is written on the wood:

Racomodé par

A. Gambon, Maestricht

A google search tells about an Andries Gambon (1757-1846) from Maastricht,

So he repaired (Racomodé) this violin, but probably not build it. Change is that the violin is build before 1800 .

Could you please  tell something about this old violin?

Hans, Norway

IMG_5216a.jpg

IMG_5217a.jpg

IMG_5218a.jpg

IMG_5219a.jpg

IMG_5220a.jpg

IMG_5221a.jpg

IMG_5225a.jpg

IMG_5223a.jpg

IMG_5224a.jpg

IMG_5227a.jpg

IMG_5228a.jpg

IMG_5229a.jpg

IMG_5230a.jpg

IMG_5233a.jpg

IMG_5234a.jpg

IMG_5235a.jpg

IMG_5236a.jpg

IMG_5238a.jpg

Edited by Hatim

It is slightly frustrating that, although you post a lot of pictures, they are mostly not very well in focus, and don’t show me the bits I want to see. Having said that, it tentatively reminds me of a fiddle I have in the front room by Gütter of Markneukirchen, 1800ish

15 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

It is slightly frustrating that, although you post a lot of pictures, they are mostly not very well in focus, and don’t show me the bits I want to see. Having said that, it tentatively reminds me of a fiddle I have in the front room by Gütter of Markneukirchen, 1800ish

Gutter love that string though! :lol:

(...couldn't help myself...:ph34r:)...

38 minutes ago, Richf said:

And what, may I ask, are those fillings repairing?

:lol: Yeah I knew I phrased it wrong.  I should have asked, what are these?  So they're fillings?  I've seen repaired worm holes filled but these seem big for that.  Just wondering, in case I come across them again, I don't know if they are a part of the original construction or something else. 

10 hours ago, Richf said:

And what, may I ask, are those fillings repairing?

I've heard that there was a repair method clamping open seams or cracks with strings through such tiny holes. It sounds very odd, but I've seen such filled paralel rows of holes several times.

3 hours ago, Bob K said:

Has the button been replaced and/or repaired in an unusual manner? The grain looks slightly different in the magnified view. The pins may have been an attempt to strengthen the join?

The button has been broken off, and by the look of it, more than once. The whole area has a hotchpotch of poorly executed repairs.

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

I've heard that there was a repair method clamping open seams or cracks with strings through such tiny holes. It sounds very odd, but I've seen such filled paralel rows of holes several times.

Thank you! 

Op here! Sorry, but I can only post one time a day.

So I brought this violin to a well respected luthier here in Norway. To him the whole neck seemed replaced for a `modern ` neck. He got quite excited when he looked at the purfling.

His thoughts:

-The purfling is made of poplar. (unusual)

-The bottom part of the violin is quite square [___] instead of /___\

-The violin is quite bulky, so arched back and arched top.

Because of these three findings, the Italian name `Landolfi` came to his mind. He dates the violin from around 1750.

So he said, it could be a Landolfi body...but also anything else.  But he was very interested, but that is how far his knowledge about this violin went.

New pictures:

IMG_5210a.jpg

IMG_5242a.jpg

IMG_5244a.jpg

IMG_5247a.jpg

IMG_5254a.jpg

IMG_5255a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

One month later... I loaned an endoscope to take pictures from the inside (both bottom cornerblocks). Note the nail in the topblock. Is that from the days that it was a baroque violin? Does the sturdy shape of the violin resemble a Hopf shape?

I hope that you can give your thoughts on this violin once more. Really appriciate it.

Hans

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

2021-09-05-21-58-13.jpg

2021-09-05-21-58-45.jpg

Two considerations:

The bright wood of the upper block indicates that it is a later addition (as to be expected at an original through neck construction), so it won't tell you anything about the violin itself.

It could be just a "recycled" end block with a filled endpin hole.

Otherwise the cornerblocks and linings are looking like what I would expect from a first half of/mid 19th century Markneukirchen region.

Thank you for your answer.

So the first half of/mid 19th century Markneukirchen region made also these Hopf shaped models? The person who repaired the violin lived from 1759 until 1846, so it must then be an early 19th century one.

Edited by Hatim