Maestronet Forums

Andrea Amati

Jaydub

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any good resources regarding Instruments by Andrea Amati. I’ve been through the photos and info on Tarisio and the National music Museum. Also the material on the strad website. I have the 1566 violin poster, eagerly awaiting the other to be reprinted.  Just wondering if there are any other good places to look. My google skills are generally poor…

When I was a young man, there was a super exibition on And. Amati in Cremona, which was organised by an American called Laurence Witten, who also held a speech. You should google “Andrea Amati Laurence Witten” and you will find a lot of information, for instance surviving instruments of Andrea Amati | Early Music | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

On 8/11/2021 at 4:10 AM, Mark Caudle said:

IIRC Stringworks used to have a replica of The King cello (made by someone with access to the original) in their brick-and-mortar store when they were in Wisconsin, don't know if they have any info they would give out on it or if it is at their current location in Illinois.

I'm not sure what help it cutis but William Whedbee has built a copy of the A. Amati 'cello "The King"  It was a reconstruction as it may have been before it was cut down.  Will is a respected maker especially of 'cellos and he put a lot of effort into the project.  It was built for a particular performance but I don't remember what.

DLB

On 8/11/2021 at 5:03 AM, jacobsaunders said:

When I was a young man, there was a super exibition on And. Amati in Cremona, which was organised by an American called Laurence Witten, who also held a speech. You should google “Andrea Amati Laurence Witten” and you will find a lot of information, for instance surviving instruments of Andrea Amati | Early Music | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

I want to say that Witten is the man that sold or donated the four A. Amati instruments and many others to the National Music Museum.  I would check but their site is not working well. His widow donated a viola and perhaps other things.  I don't have a complete picture.

http://collections.nmmusd.org/witten.html

DLB