Maestronet Forums

Speaking of $25 Fiddles, this was all of $26!

Jeny Mahon

I'm probably much too happy to have nabbed this one for $26!  The listing photos were horrible but I thought it looked in decent shape so I got it.  For $26 I figured I could hang it on the wall or make a clock.  It came with a trashed Glasser bow in a cheap plastic case. 

I've been bored lately so I took WAY too many photos of it in various lighting... I need the practice!  I assume it will be easily identifiable from the first one. 

I assume Saxon... also what's up with that teeny tiny button?  I think I see a notch on the bottom rib, which is 2-piece.  There's a pin also.  Back is 355 mm neck is 130.  It is overall rather delicate size-wise.

Hit me with your best shots!  $26?  $260?  Wall hanger / clock / dustbin?  :lol:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

IMHO, some sort of "Saxon" trade fiddle, but with a few oddities, like the button, and the scroll flutes.   Any label?  If the plastic chinrest says "Western Germany" underneath, I'd suspect the violin was made post WW 2 by refugees who weren't fully settled in yet.

8 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, some sort of "Saxon" trade fiddle, but with a few oddities, like the button, and the scroll flutes.   Any label?  If the plastic chinrest says "Western Germany" underneath, I'd suspect the violin was made post WW 2 by refugees who weren't fully settled in yet.

No label or any sign that one was ever in there.  The inside is so clean, maybe somebody re-graduated it but I can't really tell.  I don't have the tools to take the chinrest off so I don't mess with it.  I leave that for my friend when I drag it into his shop :)

2 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Looks revarnished

Yes! I was immediately suspicious of the varnish.  Most of these aren't that color.  It's not bad though, I've seen much worse revarnishing jobs :lol:  And the scroll has shading that the rest doesn't, so I almost wonder if it belongs... but that tiny button, I don't know.  It's weird. 

5 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

Yes! I was immediately suspicious of the varnish.  Most of these aren't that color.  It's not bad though, I've seen much worse revarnishing jobs :lol:  And the scroll has shading that the rest doesn't, so I almost wonder if it belongs... but that tiny button, I don't know.  It's weird. 

The tiny button may be the result of someone adjusting the neck angle.

I think it is a "folk art" fiddle...  made with a factory neck.

I had a client come in one day to have 2 fiddles fixed ... one was a dutzendarbeit in not bad shape the other was a home brew folk fiddle. The folk fiddle had lots of unusual features, and I advised the customer It would not likely sound like much. They insisted on repairing both and to my great surprise the folk fiddle sounded better than the dutzen.

so... you may be in luck and have a great sounding fiddle.  My recommendation... don't sell it for the high bid of $26.50... I'm offering $27 CAD:o