Maestronet Forums

Interesting wood on a cheap bow

Byrdbop

30 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

It looks very similar to Wenge, although a little redder.

wenge2.jpg.c0156b0a432b6d6941d16d0ea8f873f8.jpg

That's it!  Redder due to colour cast on pics. Is this a common wood for bows?  A cheap alternative to the traditional woods? 

52 minutes ago, Byrdbop said:

That's it!  Redder due to colour cast on pics. Is this a common wood for bows?  A cheap alternative to the traditional woods? 

Not sure whether it was ever common, but it can make for an incredibly strong stick, sometimes too strong. Some of the great French bowmakers used similar types of wood, but I don't think it is exactly the same, in the 19th century, and possibly earlier too.

No, definitely not common. Extremely expensive and endangered, in fact!

I had the chance to purchase some wenge boards from my old place of work at a discount. It is very hard wood, but brittle and with openings in the grain. The main reason to use it is that beautiful pinstripe pattern.

10 hours ago, Deo Lawson said:

No, definitely not common. Extremely expensive and endangered, in fact!

I had the chance to purchase some wenge boards from my old place of work at a discount. It is very hard wood, but brittle and with openings in the grain. The main reason to use it is that beautiful pinstripe pattern.

Couple more pics might confirm 

IMG_20210804_124352.jpg

IMG_20210804_124125.jpg

Do you have a photo of the frog  and pearl slide? 

Heres an ironwood Simon school/workshop bow i have , most probably Wamara ironwood. The grain strips look different depending on how off quarter the bow head is . Often relatively straight looking on one side of the head and quite wild on the other side.

P1160764.JPG

Apart from its not Katalox, ive used katalox  quite a bit and its not good for bows and doesnt look like it .:) Though it is a species of Swartzia  of which there are many and even  same species can look  different depending which region its growing in.