Maestronet Forums

/

chiaroscuro_violins

Spiral reamers cut a lot faster, but aren’t necessarily any smoother, a lot still depends on the wood you are cutting. 
Should you wish to steer the hole direction as you cut, they aren’t as good in this respect.

With any reamer, the quality you pay for is rewarded in cleaner cutting and longevity. I fit pegs every week, and the Herdim one I have has held up well.
Off the top of my head, it’s been in use for close to a decade. The one before that was retired at around 15 years, but I still use it for truing up manky holes, before moving onto the sharper one.

The reamers that I have found work best (for me) are those with four cutting  edges on one side and the other side blank. I used one for a long time that had cutting edges all the way around, and it would often make the hole polygonal. I have not used the spiral reamers. I am sure others will have more thoughts on this. Care of use is also important with sufficient pressure to keep the reamer aligned but not so much to ear things.t

I have used a straight-cut reamer that I got over 40 years ago.  I haven't used it as much as a full-time pro would, and it has still cut pretty well... but I treated myself to a new Herdim spiral TIN coated reamer just a short time ago.  I like it a lot.

I would not consider any of these reamers to be re-sharpenable if you want an accurate hole.  The blank side will be bigger than the cutting side if you do that, unless somehow you can grind ALL of the surfaces precisely.  BTW, my spiral reamer has a blank side as well.

For a tool that lasts many years (or decades), it's not that big of a deal to buy a new one when needed.

I’ve had several different reamers over the years. I like the spiral best, as I seem to get a cleaner cut faster. I don’t know if it comes down to the design or the quality of the metal.

Standard readers are perfectly fine as long as they cut well and they’re correctly tapered. The result is the most important thing. I have never tried to resharpen one. I’m sure it’s possible, but I wouldn’t feel confident in the precision of the taper and it would take too much time and effort. 

24 minutes ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

At this point I think I will get a new reamer.  Is there any reason not to get a spiral one?  

They cut very fast by comparison,  I think a little too fast if you just need to clean up a hole, or advance the peg a tiny amount.  If I was going to have just one, it would be a straight reamer for the same reason Dave Slight said above.  The ability to steer the hole is nice. 

If you can swing the expense of having both, I think it’s helpful to have options.  

2 hours ago, Jerry Lynn said:

They cut very fast by comparison,  I think a little too fast if you just need to clean up a hole, or advance the peg a tiny amount.  If I was going to have just one, it would be a straight reamer for the same reason Dave Slight said above.  The ability to steer the hole is nice. 

If you can swing the expense of having both, I think it’s helpful to have options.  

Yup.  :)

I have never tried a spiral reamer, but I think that one might maker a smoother cut than a straight-fluted  one.  However, someone else pointed out here years ago that a reamer with a right-handed spiral could be a very bad idea, because it might worm itself into the peg hole and split the peg box.

I think that accurately and effectively sharpening a reamer would require precision grinding equipment far beyond what a luthier could be expected to have.

3 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

But someone else pointed out here years ago that a reamer with a right-handed spiral could be a very bad idea, because it might worm itself into the peg hole and split the peg box.

I expect that could be done if you didn't think about what you are doing. I use the TIN coated spiral cut, and like it a lot, but have an old straight cut which I have used for steering corrections

3 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I have never tried a spiral reamer, but I think that one might maker a smoother cut than a straight-fluted  one.  However, someone else pointed out here years ago that a reamer with a right-handed spiral could be a very bad idea, because it might worm itself into the peg hole and split the peg hole and split the peg box.

The Herdim spiral reamer I have is a left spiral.  For good reason.

2 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Spiral reamers cut way too fast and before you know it you've got oversize peg holes

That would seem to be operator error to me.  Less pressure, more attention, no problem.

Long discussion about this some years ago. Reamers which cut in the same direction as the spiral are very dangerous. I have some which spiral left and cut to the right. They are fast and reasonably accurate but a straight reamer with more than 180 degrees of the circumfrence left uncut are better for adjusting the alignment of the hole and for finishing.

I have both and use the straight reamer 95% of the time.   I feel like I have less control with the spiral, possibly because I haven't taken the time to become familiar with it - it does seem aggressive, as others have mentioned.  I use it when I need to hog out some wood, e.g. new end button... And then usually finish with the straight reamer.

As an experiment I bought a spiral and straight from Ali express just for curiosity and and use on school violins because they were cheap... turns out it was an expensive experiment because the straight one would not cut at all and the spiral pretty much useless... Still using my original that I bought from Geo. Heinl 30 years ago... works like a charm...FWIW ... Mat

I haven’t had any issues with steering when using the spiral reamer. I have found that my straight reamers chatter a little more than the spiral ones, but they all cut fairly well. Yes, the spiral does cut a little faster, but it’s easy to control if you use it a few times.

It seems to me that correct taper and a sharp cutting edge are more important in the long run. 

I use both, the spiral one works better if you don't have to change the alignment of the peg, but if you need to make corrections the straight one with a smooth part on one side works much better because it allows more control over where you want to remove wood. It also works best as a burnisher by turning it backwards due to its smooth side. So if I had to choose to buy only one of the two I would choose the straight one because it is more versatile.

45 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

I use both

Having both is ideal.  I wouldn't want to use my new spiral reamer as a burnisher, as the left spiral would tend to screw it into the hole... and I'd rather not put wear in the sharp, new one if I don't have to.  The older (but still good enough) straight reamer is better for burnishing.  Since I don't do repairs and all of the holes are pre-drilled perfectly straight every time :), I never need to do any straightening.

16 hours ago, Brad H said:

I have both and use the straight reamer 95% of the time.   I feel like I have less control with the spiral, possibly because I haven't taken the time to become familiar with it - it does seem aggressive, as others have mentioned.  I use it when I need to hog out some wood, e.g. new end button... And then usually finish with the straight reamer.

Ditto.