Maestronet Forums

Larch Turpentine for making Varnish

xraymymind

When making colored varnishes using cooked (and therefore extremely brittle) colophony and sandarac, i like to use up to 10% larch turpentine at the final stage of cooking. I make 80% resin (colophony/sandarac) content varnishes out of it, and the film still can be quite brittle, so the „right“ content of larch turpentine as a plasticizer also depends on the hardness of the other used resins.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

When making colored varnishes using cooked (and therefore extremely brittle) colophony and sandarac, i like to use up to 10% larch turpentine at the final stage of cooking. I make 80% resin (colophony/sandarac) content varnishes out of it, and the film still can be quite brittle, so the „right“ content of larch turpentine as a plasticizer also depends on the hardness of the other used resins.

Of course it does !

As long as you mix things together, Anything matters.Including the proportion and properties of other resins.

Cooked larch resin in conjunction with mastic or dammar or sandarac or copal, in a medium or a varnish will look very much like enamel and might be very bright.

The case of sandarac is also tricky, as"Tetraclinis articulata"( cypress family tree ) is present in the southern Alps, and could be very easily confused in my opinion with the much more common "juniperus thurifera" ,also a cypress family tree, but a juniper, from the same area.

They are very alike in the way they look ( with small differences though), but the resin of each particular tree surely behaves differently.

As they are species from the same family and they look almost the same,  people surely didn't consider any difference.