Maestronet Forums

Obscure French Maker - J. A. Prevotte, Paris

NVG Cellist

54 minutes ago, NVG Cellist said:

Here’s the label, not oval. I did manage to find an address: Rue Louis-le-Grand, 33 Paris but this is different than Etiene Laprevotte I think.

7265E19E-49D9-48BB-8820-26C3F54B1B85.jpeg

Violin makers have been known to change address ...

But as a general rule it's safer to discuss instruments rather than labels - if you wanted to share photos of the instrument we might be able to tell you if the label belongs or not.

Here are some better photos

The neck is not original which might explain the non French-like button, clearly visible under UV light.

Measurements:
Length 761 mm, UB 353 mm, CB 240 mm, LB 452 mm

Some damage to the label was caused by bad use of a Dampit

It’s a terrific sounding cello.

Thanks again.

La Prevotte LR 14.jpg

La Prevotte LR 13.jpg

La Prevotte LR 12.jpg

La Prevotte LR 11.jpg

La Prevotte LR 10.jpg

La Prevotte LR 9.jpg

La Prevotte LR 8.jpg

La Prevotte LR 7.jpg

La Prevotte LR 6.jpg

La Prevotte LR 5.jpg

La Prevotte LR 4.jpg

La Prevotte LR 3.jpg

La Prevotte LR 2.jpg

Let me preface first I have no idea whether your label or cello is a genuine La Prévotte.  It's a shame that the label is so "distressed."

But if the label is indeed genuine, I think you may be misreading it.

What you interpret as [J]A PRÉVOTTE is a stylized L.  There couldn't have been too many Prévottes who won medals at expositions, even if they were handing them out like door prizes back in the day (which isn't far from the truth).

Have you consulted with anyone _knowledgeable_ (i.e. not internet) with Parisian makers of this period?

6 hours ago, Hempel said:

Let me preface first I have no idea whether your label or cello is a genuine La Prévotte.  It's a shame that the label is so "distressed."

But if the label is indeed genuine, I think you may be misreading it.

What you interpret as [J]A PRÉVOTTE is a stylized L.  There couldn't have been too many Prévottes who won medals at expositions, even if they were handing them out like door prizes back in the day (which isn't far from the truth).

Have you consulted with anyone _knowledgeable_ (i.e. not internet) with Parisian makers of this period?

The cello was advertised as J A Prevotte and there are some appraisals mentioning J A Prevotte. I’m aware of Etiene Laprevotte who did medal in 1839:

https://www.iremus.cnrs.fr/sites/default/files/expositions_1798-1900.pdf (Page 11).

I had thought that it was perhaps a tradename - a play on a known maker but now think the label is LA Prevotte and that LA Prevotte and Laprevotte are the same. Hopefully it is a genuine label. The button confused me until I realized that the neck is not original.

Not sure where I would go to consult a Paris maker expert, maybe Mr Rampal when travel opens up? Regards

22 hours ago, NVG Cellist said:

The cello was advertised as J A Prevotte and there are some appraisals mentioning J A Prevotte. I’m aware of Etiene Laprevotte who did medal in 1839:

https://www.iremus.cnrs.fr/sites/default/files/expositions_1798-1900.pdf (Page 11).

I had thought that it was perhaps a tradename - a play on a known maker but now think the label is LA Prevotte and that LA Prevotte and Laprevotte are the same. Hopefully it is a genuine label. The button confused me until I realized that the neck is not original.

Not sure where I would go to consult a Paris maker expert, maybe Mr Rampal when travel opens up? Regards

La Prévotte (or Laprévotte, LA are NOT initials) got a bronze medal in "Exposition des produits de l’Industrie de 1827" (Entry 117)

https://books.google.com/books?id=CjXApaXjTLwC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false

At that time his shop was on Rue de Richelieu Nr. 10.

Here's a clear picture of one of his guitar labels, with the same lettering:

http://finefretted.com/instrument_detail.php?i=489

The printed parts of your label, had it not been flayed, should read:

MÉDAILLE DE L'EXPOSITION/VIOLON LA PRÉVOTTE/Luthier Breveté Auteur/Rue du Dragon No. 3/A PARIS

Rampal would be a reasonable place to start.