Maestronet Forums

JB Vuillaume with Jas. Tubbs bow

Belasco

37 minutes ago, PaganiniGuitar said:

I’ve never seen this sort of ‘English’ way you speak of. Yes the English can be very arrogant, dream of self sueriority, and walking on clouds 

The first I noticed was John Osbourne "Ozzy".  He more or less flat out hinted if you're not English I don't really want anything to do with you.  Surely he has changed a little since then, I think he has.  Jacob is not as bad as Ozzy in that respect.

As for violins the English do and should, for the most part, walk the walk of self superiority - they are really good.  Does Ann Arbor or Chicago along with the other "schools" like it? I'd say no but having a difference of seeing the way things should be can be good for all.

The good thing about discussions turning south at Maestronet is tomorrow can be better than today - all one has to do is change the words and timing a little bit. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP, sorry to hear about your Mother :(

As others have pointed out, the violin & bow have little monetary value.
Given the history of your great-grandfather, you could enjoy the sentimental value it has, and either put it away in the case, stored somewhere safely, or hang it on a wall in your home.

58 minutes ago, PaganiniGuitar said:

This made me laugh Uncle… my wife is English from an old family of Wales. I’ve never seen this sort of ‘English’ way you speak of. Yes the English can be very arrogant, dream of self sueriority, and walking on clouds but most of the ones I’ve met aren’t worth two shakes to bother with.

Administrators we need the ‘Ignore Button’ for those we wish to ignore… and yes perhaps I may be placed on iignore as well!

I hope you won't think me arrogantly English if I say this is patronizing and silly - all the more so if your understanding of geography is so poor that you think Wales is in England.

People are people all over the world, and if you have only met English people who aren't worth two shakes then this reflects badly on you and the people you mix with.

43 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I hope you won't think me arrogantly English if I say this is patronizing and silly - all the more so if your understanding of geography is so poor that you think Wales is in England.

People are people all over the world, and if you have only met English people who aren't worth two shakes then this reflects badly on you and the people you mix with.

Sorry you feel this way! I have many ‘English’ friends along with many others including Scots, Irish, etc. What I was inferring was that many English can be outright rude and obnoxious but this doesn’t include all of them. Reading comprehension  101.

1 hour ago, Royce J. said:

If that's the worst thing Mr. Saunders ever calls you, you're getting off easy. 

Like.

1 hour ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

...You're not going to learn much here if you put Jacob on the ignore function!

Yes.

6 minutes ago, PaganiniGuitar said:

Do you even LIVE in the United Kingdom?

Yes I do.

Look at your map - it shows Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, but not England. It seems to have been drawn up by someone who doesn't understand what the United Kingdom is.

8 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Yes I do.

Look at your map - it shows Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, but not England. It seems th=o have been drawn up by someone who doesn't understand what the United Kingdom is.

Funny I see London, Manchester, etc. but somehow this is a map made by some Chinese cartographer?

When one states they are from America U.S. fine but if one break down what state one is from you say California or New York, etc. That’s easy to comprehend. My wife comes from a family called Worthingtons not that that matters to you at this point in time as you and others have taken a dislike of me as can be read in this post and others.

Just now, PaganiniGuitar said:

Funny I see London, Manchester, etc. but somehow this is a map made by some Chinese cartographer?

Where is England on your map? You don't seem to understand that the United Kingdom is 4 nations, and England is one of those 4, along with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

England is a nation that's south of Scotland and east of Wales, like this :

UK.thumb.png.1487cc4ba383947598a6a22706aa22f6.png

Dear All (MOD HAT ON)

As much as I do love a good bit of geography, this thread has moved very quickly in the wrong direction, please stay on topic going forward.

Jeffrey has already asked every to move on and keep to the original discussion.

Many thanks.

If it has sentimental value to the OP then displaying it or keeping it safe sounds like a good idea.

As a few experienced members have already mentioned, unfortunately it is not really cost effective to repair at this time, but that doesn't mean it can't still be loved. :wub:

7 minutes ago, Samuel Detached said:

So to repair/restore or not? I vote leave it as is. The state it is in is part of its history. In short: display.

I also think that the violin has only sentimental value. It's a very inexpensive student instrument that would require quite costly repair to get it into playing condition (particularly the button repair).

It's important to know what something is and what its actual financial value is in order to determine whether restoration makes sense. This is what the OP was asking and Jacob's initial response was what the OP needed to hear.

My apologies for contributing to the digression ...

7 minutes ago, Samuel Detached said:

So to repair/restore or not? I vote leave it as is. The state it is in is part of its history. In short: display.

Yes, although I wonder who you would want to “display” it too. The pertinent question might rather be dustbin, or not dustbin.

LOL.

Did the OP actually ask about restoration and/or repair?  

Pretty sure the OP already decided "display."

Lastly, some things have sentimental value "as is."  I have been holding onto a couple of old brass instruments that are tarnished all over.  My father played them that way and so I will keep them that way to preserve the "sentiment."