Maestronet Forums

Soffritti labeled Violin. Maker?

Rmueller9

16 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Yeah, Tecchler made in Markneukirchen Germany, and ruined by excessive overvarnish

The top had no original varnish and barely any area without cracks or smashed regions. The back only has original varnish along the   C bouts within 3/4” of the purfling.

46 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Well your violin looks like BOB construction, that's why I said Markneukirchen

Agree, and hardly 300 years old. The cello looks older, but as longs as none of the English members might correct me, I would say Bohemian.

Regarding repairwork and cleats, there are some threads herein which can be helpful if you try the Google image search like for "Maestronet cleats" (works actually better than the MN search function).

The Tecchler doesn’t have a square inch on the top without cracks or a previous smash. In order to fill the cracks, put clear over them and shave the filler down, there isn’t a lot of area left. Add to that the fact that the top had no original varnish. The back only has original varnish in the C bouts within 1/2” of the purfling. Due to cracks and massive restored destruction below the button, it becomes necessary to fan out the color. Extension of color in a darkened vein was extended to below the button, on the right side, significant color was added below the C bout to camouflage cracks.

I have worked on many instruments where varnish additions were minimized. This is not one of them. But, it was reclaimed from 80 years in storage and shall live again!!!

@Rmueller9

I am not in a position to claim I'm a better restorer than you.  However, I can read the room and I don't see what you're trying to prove by posting your repairs, at nobody's request, in a thread originally for a violin ID.  You're only going to get tough love here.  Why not start a thread in the Contemporary Makers' Gallery?  

5 minutes ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

@Rmueller9

I am not in a position to claim I'm a better restorer than you.  However, I can read the room and I don't see what you're trying to prove by posting your repairs, at nobody's request, in a thread originally for a violin ID.  You're only going to get tough love here.  Why not start a thread in the Contemporary Makers' Gallery?  

When will Maestronet get a "Like" button. Like.

1 hour ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

@Rmueller9

Why not start a thread in the Contemporary Makers' Gallery?  

...or start a thread here concerning questions Mr. Meuller may have about specific aspects of restoration, or to seek advice for a specific project.

I haven't met a restorer yet who doesn't strive to improve aspects of their work, and while no one is entitled to expect it on demand, I can't think of any top end restorer who isn't open to sharing ideas or techniques with others. As a matter of fact, the programs at Oberlin (Oberlin Restoration Workshops) rely on the continuing generosity (time and effort) of a number of the world's most accomplished restorers.

No "Like" button in the works presently duane88.  We'll just have to type out the four letters.  :)

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

No "Like" button in the works presently duane88.  We'll just have to type out the four letters.  :)

I can remember that, about ten years ago, Maestronet had a “like” button, which was disabled due to Moderator exasperation at the egregious misuse (Burgess liking himself, and so on:))