Maestronet Forums

Soffritti labeled Violin. Maker?

Rmueller9

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Nope...

I wonder though... Are these instruments being offered to you for sale by a private entity?  If so, do the owners know they are being pictured on the web?

I have a half interest in the “Soffritti” with total liberty. I have a Tecchler violin and a c.1750 Joseph Hill cello which I purchased from this individual, which I will put pictures up if anyone is interested. I was taught restoration from him and worked with him for 27 years. He is like my brother!!!

Nope...

I wonder though... Are these instruments being offered to you for sale by a private entity?  If so, do the owners know they are being pictured on the web?

Look at my cheap restoration example under my Worst Repairs posting.

Nope...

The tone of your post was somewhat accusatory!

13 hours ago, Rmueller9 said:

The tone of your post was somewhat accusatory!

It was an honest question, and it's kind of my job to ask.  

We often get posts here concerning instruments being offered for sale from various sources, or fishing for information about an instrument in the process of being sold privately. Want to make sure we avoid featuring someone else's property without their knowledge/permission. Gloves can come off for public sales (auctions/listings/etc).

As concerns a mention of origin or ownership in another post, I honestly don't retain everything I scan  on the board.  You all read stuff that interests you, I presume. I review a ton of posts/threads and occasionally come across something that peaks my interest or curiosity. In the case of "Worst Repairs" I just reviewed it quickly to make sure everyone was keeping their pants on. I've seen enough carnage in the last 4 decades working on instruments.  :)

3 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Yeah, Tecchler made in Markneukirchen Germany, and ruined by excessive overvarnish

If it has a lot of cracks and has been abused for 300 years. “Overvarnishing”” is inevitable!! Do you do restoration? You seem to rely on the Markneukirchen assessment quite often!

9 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Yeah, Tecchler made in Markneukirchen Germany, and ruined by excessive overvarnish

I haven’t polished out the extensive touchup yet. I have no problem with showing an instrument in the midst of restoration!!!

8 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Get a day job, you're out of your element on violins

How old are you? By the way, I retired from my day job 8 years ago. I was the lead system designer and algorithm designer of the Radar Warning Receiver and Radar Jammer for the F16. What are your credentials?

41 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The before picture looks better but even then you've already messed with the varnish

The before picture was before any touchup was done. This was after the cracks were glued and filled. Where lies the dilemma??!