Maestronet Forums

I really swore off bidding but…

There is a Cello being offered by Keane Auctions (Kerry Keane ?) The cello itself is interesting, but I am asking about the bow. I promise I’m not going to bid, I’m not the least bit interested in bidding, but I am interested in learning about this bow.

It was listed as “unmarked” but that looks like “Frank Prell Paris”. That name is definitely wrong, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Whatch’yall think?

PS I see a lengthwise crack at the base of the frog, I see some inlaid wood on the stick ahead of the thumb projection(? Because of wear?) And a curious green in a couple spots which would indicate nickel, but I have never seen a Parisian eye that was not silver, especially when all the rest of the mountings are silver as well.

4F5E9FE1-FD85-4895-9346-98FBA5B6AF49.png

3B5812EF-E88B-44F1-A5C1-E9DE8F6AF3D5.png

DA2270AD-BD3A-4B03-9F3A-8CAD16F9B20E.png

Edited by PhilipKT
Spelling

• PhilipKT changed the title to I really swore off bidding but…
42 minutes ago, germain said:

That frog looks Deutschland... small inner circle compared to outer circle - somewhat disproportionate. I was told that is a German thing

Thank you. Also aren’t most French stamps upside down?

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Thank you. Also aren’t most French stamps upside down?

I've often thought about that... it makes me wonder if all non-French bows are the ones stamped upside down!  Maybe we're looking at them and photographing them wrong?  :lol: Considering the values of fine French bows, I tend to think they're the ones doing it right!

More likely they believed the cello bow stamp was “Herm W Prell Paris.” My guess on the cello was that the American “maker” put his name in a nice Saxon instrument.  Removing the tag will boost the value significantly, even without the 2 bows. 

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Their belief system may have been flawed.

The fact that someone buys something at auction doesn’t mean it’s necessarily worth buying … 

38 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Indeed, often things sold at auction would be simply unsaleable in a shop.

OT anecdote: at a livestock auction (many years ago), they were auctioning off lead ropes. 

A really good lead rope, at the farm supply store, was ~ $10. We've had some of them for over 20 years.

These auction specials were cheaply made, to the point of being dangerous, and selling for ~ $15. :wacko:

Point is...people think stuff at auction must always be a good deal, a bargain, worth more than what they paid for it...then add a little auction fever to that belief...

...and both the seller and auctioneer go home very happy...

45 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Indeed, often things sold at auction would be simply unsaleable in a shop.

And often things that are bought at auction are consequently sold in a shop.

But it isn't called the "winner's curse" for nothing.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

Their belief system may have been flawed.

The fact that someone buys something at auction doesn’t mean it’s necessarily worth buying … 

I didn’t say their belief was valid, only that somebody did believe.

Wasn’t me…

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Richf said:

More likely they believed the cello bow stamp was “Herm W Prell Paris.” My guess on the cello was that the American “maker” put his name in a nice Saxon instrument.  Removing the tag will boost the value significantly, even without the 2 bows. 

The cello looked OK, but it had quite a lot of damage and you don’t know how much until you get it in your hand.

Edited by PhilipKT