Maestronet Forums

Dominant Pro - tension issues

D27

I've been trying the new Dominant Pro, and I'm getting a lot a high tension feeling, fast détaché is hard to play and the strings feel stiff, unresponsiveness when playing with low bow pressure. That didn't happen with Obligato. So I've decided to check the tensions from the official websites, here they are:

Obligato:

G: 4.5kg

D: 4.7kg

A: 5.4kg

Total: 14,6

Dominant Pro:

G: 4.6kg

D: 4.5kg

A: 5.5kg

total: 14,6

It's interesting how the total tension is the same, they're just distributed differently. Do Thomastik and Pirastro measure tensions the same way?

I'm not sure if it's worth it to try getting used and adapt to Dominant Pro, or just leave them. Anyone has used both and experienced the same?

52 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

I'd just leave them. I heard them on like 15 different fiddles and they sounded pretty lame on all of them. 

I actually like the sound, much more than regular Dominants. It's just the tense/stiff feeling that doesn't really make sense, when they should be the same tension as Obligato. I'm really curious about these tension values, how accurate and comparable they are.

I don't think you can expect any string to play like another, just because the overall tension is the same.
The construction will be fundamentally different from one to another, especially as Pirastro and Thomastik, seem to have come from different starting points for string manufacturing.

One string could have a large core, with few outer wraps, another a thin core, with most of the mass coming from the outer wraps. They will not feel the same, and never could.

The way string tensions are measured could be misleading, Pirastro always used to use kilopascal, and may not convert simply.

35 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I don't think you can expect any string to play like another, just because the overall tension is the same.
The construction will be fundamentally different from one to another, especially as Pirastro and Thomastik, seem to have come from different starting points for string manufacturing.

True, but that doesn't really help, because precisely about those facts, people say that Pirastro strings usually feel more stiff and Thomastik's are softer, which is the opposite of what I'm feeling here.

15 minutes ago, D27 said:

True, but that doesn't really help, because precisely about those facts, people say that Pirastro strings usually feel more stiff and Thomastik's are softer, which is the opposite of what I'm feeling here.

Which is why I mentioned different ways strings can be constructed, it will alter the feel.

25 minutes ago, D27 said:

Some of that "feeling" also depends on string angle, scoop and a couple of other things. The total thickness of the string would be one of those.