Maestronet Forums

Wittner viola fittings

JavierPortero

Hi! I am looking for reducing weight of my viola and cannot find the weight for Wittner's "space age" tailpiece, chinrest and geared pegs. Specially considering the pegs are not cheap are this fittings really that lighter? 

I have to say I prefer wood for the look but Wittner tailpieces are handy for adjustments on the run during performance and I finde them resonant in terms of sound. 

Any thoughs on the geared viola pegs and chinrest?

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Edited by JavierPortero
spelling

I have used the center chinrest and I like it.  It is very light and quite well engineered. You will find it makes your viola sound different to you under your chin.  I'm sorry but I don't really know anything about the pegs.  I have friends that have used them and like them on very nice instruments.  As far as weight I'm not at all sure.  Boxwood conventional fittings are lighter in general than other wood choices. The tailpiece again may have an effect on the sound but you will have to experiment.

DLB

In my experience with violin, the Wittner non-adjustable center mount chin rest is very light (about 36 g) but it is not the same for the pegs, which weigh much more than traditional ones due to the mechanism. So if weight is your main concern I would recommend the chinrest (if you like it, it's plastic;)) but not the geared pegs, or at least I would try to add a temporary equivalent weight on the scroll to see if it bothers you or if it is negligible for you. I think that the chin rest does not affect much the perceived weight because it is on the shoulder, while the pegs are at a distant point from the body, and the perceived weight could be greater.

Depending on your build the Wittner tailpiece might not match.

This might be an exception but with all the extra pieces they include, the company makes a great effort to try and have the chinrest fit the individual. The surface texture is fine, but if one sweats a considerable amount, it can get slippery. I do like the plastic feet as they are thin and tapered and are more comfortable for some students have issues with that area making contact with the skin- bone. 

17 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Use the Wittner geared pegs and cut off the scroll.

2021_07_23_0504.JPG

A set of Wittner violin pegs weighs 42g, before trimmming, compared with 22g for ebony pegs.  My wrist watch weighs 62g.  Use the Wittners and take off your wrist watch.

Thanks for the responses, someone mentioned well fitted wood pegs, but using them with steel strings still don't do it.  Plus age and lefty tennis are not being kind to my left wrist

Geared pegs seem to be on the heavy side, I emailed Wittner about the actual weight but no response yet... 

I am curious to try the Wittner chinrest.

Greetings

On 7/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, Muswell said:

A set of Wittner violin pegs weighs 42g, before trimmming, compared with 22g for ebony pegs.  My wrist watch weighs 62g.  Use the Wittners and take off your wrist watch.

I use the small diameter Wittner 1/2 violin size pegs to save some weight.  A set weighs about 28g.