Maestronet Forums

Violin ID

Carly R.

Hello all! And a Happy Bastille Day to those that celebrate it!

Can you tell me anything about my family's violin? It has been well played and well loved, but we know little of its history or provenance, aside from a few details passed down through generations. I'm not sure how much of that is true, so I'll refrain from sharing it here. I couldn't get any good interior pics, and besides it has no label.

I'd welcome any thoughts about its background, even wild speculation. So don't hold back :) 

Thanks in advance! 

Carly

ps. I did my best with the pictures, but some aren't quite as sharp as I'd like. Please let me know if there are any details that might help with an ID.

violin_10.jpg

violin_09.jpg

violin_08.jpg

violin_07.jpg

violin_06.JPG

violin_05.JPG

violin_03.JPG

violin_04.JPG

violin_02.jpg

violin_01.jpg

French?? Then a belated Happy Bastille Day to this violin!!

Thanks for your posts, Jacob and Shelbow. Are there specific details that mark it as a Mirecourt instrument? Or specifically from the Laberte workshop? I would be fascinated to know!

As requested by Philip, here are a few closeups of the bow that's always been with the violin. It has become a bit stiff and isn't my first choice for playing these days, but the tone is still sweet.

I'm also adding a better photo of the center bout, in case that clarifies anything. Jacob mentioned some of my pics were out of focus -- indeed, it appears I used the same camera he used to take his profile pic :) 

bow_00.JPG

bow_03.JPG

bow_02.JPG

violin_11.JPG

On 7/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, Carly R. said:

French?? Then a belated Happy Bastille Day to this violin!!

Thanks for your posts, Jacob and Shelbow. Are there specific details that mark it as a Mirecourt instrument? Or specifically from the Laberte workshop? I would be fascinated to know!

As requested by Philip, here are a few closeups of the bow that's always been with the violin. It has become a bit stiff and isn't my first choice for playing these days, but the tone is still sweet.

I'm also adding a better photo of the center bout, in case that clarifies anything. Jacob mentioned some of my pics were out of focus -- indeed, it appears I used the same camera he used to take his profile pic :) 

bow_00.JPG

bow_03.JPG

bow_02.JPG

violin_11.JPG

The bow is German, unfortunately the photos are still so dark that it's difficult to make out the quality of the wood, and also if there's a possible repair before the head.

I'm not second guessing Jacob, but I would like to see better (brighter and more focussed) photos of the sides and rib joints; it's also possible that the violin is a Markneukirchen/Schönbach copy in the French manner. At first glance it doesn't look very French to me neither.

Is it a full size at all?

3 hours ago, Guido said:

P.S. on balance I'd vote French, too

The ff holes appear to be French made but I'm thinking to myself that Blankface may have thoughts of the belly arching contour glare may have been made by German scraper work.

Thank you for these comments Duke, Guido, Blank Face and George!

As the family lore goes, the instrument is German, c. 1900. I believe this info came from the music shop that sold it to my uncle around 1950. Not sure if these details have always been carefully or accurately passed down through the years, so make of them what you will.

But it's a fine enough instrument, I play it regularly. A nice choice for orchestra playing.

Two questions:

1.) What pics or details would help make a more concrete ID? I'm not confident of getting nice interior shots, and I'm reluctant to pull the endpin. But I can surely make things brighter, per your comments.

2.) We have the original case somewhere in storage. The case is a flimsy thing that I'm told is original to the violin. Would that help make an ID? 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 PM, Carly R. said:

What pics or details would help make a more concrete ID?

Like it was told before, close ups of the rib joints and a shot from the lower rib endpin region could tell more, also inside the transition of pegbox and volute to see how far the fluting is carved. A photo of the case probably won't add anything of interest.